2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 dodge ram 1500 5.2 in limp mode???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 10:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

Pull the O2 sensor. See if it runs any better.

Old 07-06-2017, 10:57 AM
Dean Koziara
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay I'll try pulling the O2 sensor am I just pulling one or all or which one am I taking off?!?.... Also I'm Not sure if I resetted the pcm correctly or not the truck was off when the battery got disconnected then I turned the light switch on and off and plugged that batter back in but as you saw in the video it didn't change a thing.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's the correct method. So, apparently, it isn't a 'learned' behavior by the truck.....

Just need to pull the O2 sensor in front of the cat converter. It'll be louder.... but, it'll tell ya if the cat is plugging up.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Dean Koziara

Took the O2 sensor out and the truck is back to having it's acceleration so it is the catalytic converter thank you so much for the help!!!!

Old 07-06-2017, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Coolness. Chop it off, or replace it, depending on what laws are like where you are. If you replace it, you need to find out what plugged it up in the first place. Usually, it's a victim of a bad plenum gasket. Have you fixed yours yet?

You should also replace the O2 sensor. NTK, or Denso only please, skip the bosch sensors, they don't work as well for our trucks.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 PM
Dean Koziara

Haven't replaced it yet all I did was take off the O2 Sensor and drove it I will at some point when I have the money I'll replace it with something new and yes I will do O2 sensors when I replace the cat and thank you again I'll make sure not to go with the Bosch sensors.... Also not sure if you could help me out with this issue The 4wd is also gone in my truck you can sit all day trying to shift it into 4H but the light will not come on and it does not engage.... I bought the truck with it working but during a snowstorm I was leaving for work one morning and it decided to go gears grinded up when I was shifting the stick into 4H and 4L ever since it made that noise the 4wd has not ever worked again i thought it could be the actuator some people said to me it could be the linkage others said it could be the gears themselves in the axel I'm not to sure what it could be but if you can think of any areas I should start in it would help out a lot truck isn't good in the winter with only 2wd and having it be RWD and having it lifted on big tires made it much easier for the rear end to slide out on me having the 4wd back would be really nice lol....

Old 07-07-2017, 08:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Have a look here. You may just have a simple vacuum problem.