2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram Sport 1500 5.9 jerks randomly at speeds 45+

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 11:04 PM
mgibson2074
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Ram Sport 1500 5.9 jerks randomly at speeds 45+

I'm sure this question may have been covered already but I am new to the forum. Just bought this truck, it's a 2001 5.9 magnum, I've never owned a dodge before. Anyways, I'll be cruising and the truck suddenly jerks. Sometimes I hear a thud or a clank while this happens. Mind you, this happens randomly and it doesn't matter if it's up or down hill or flat highway. When it does happen, it doesn't last longer than half a second. Just stressed out because I'm not sure if it's transmission, drive-shaft, or engine. Truck is due for a tune up as it is (Plugs, Wires, Distributor, etc...). Anyone have anything similar and found a solution?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:36 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm assuming you have an automatic and torque converters lock in around that mph, right? So it could be related to that, or something that's affected by it like driveshaft u-joints, etc. Does not sound like engine. Maybe someone who has a magic box can chime in. I just happen to be up early to move.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:49 AM
mgibson2074

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I'm assuming you have an automatic and torque converters lock in around that mph, right? So it could be related to that, or something that's affected by it like driveshaft u-joints, etc. Does not sound like engine. Maybe someone who has a magic box can chime in. I just happen to be up early to move.
Yes it's an automatic. I was thinking the same thing about the drive shaft. I've got an appointment to go into the shop but it won't be until August 15th. Still runs and drives, just annoying.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:02 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If the shaking starts at 45, (conveniently, when TCC locks....) but goes away, or greatly diminishes, if you push the O/D off button, that is an engine miss. When is the last time your truck had a tuneup? How old are your O2 sensors? Have you fixed the plenum yet?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:24 AM
mgibson2074

I know it needs a tune up for sure. Haven't checked the plenum gasket, it has an EGR leak. Shifted 1,2, D, and OD off and on. Shifted smooth...can't figure it out

Old 07-31-2017, 12:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I would start with the tune up then.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:50 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does sound like a misfire, try it with the o/d off, as suggested. A bad egr can cause those symptoms also.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:48 AM
mgibson2074
Default *UPDATE* Kinda....

Been almost a year since last posted. In that time my transmission gave out. I had it rebuilt, and still have the jerk/bucking/hiccup WHATEVER you want to call it. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. I’ve spent all this time trying to find something or someone who’s heard of this. The only code I’m throwing on the truck is a P0340. It’s overdue but I’m going to change the plugs, wires, the entire distributor, coil, and put new injectors in. Literally everything on this truck works fine. I’ve taken it back to the same shop twice and they’ve finally suggested it could be my PCM...what??? I thought bad PCM’s caused no start/crank or No BUS? What do you guys think? Is the tune up even worth it now? The shop I take it to is local. The mechanic is a local legend and is known to be the best in this area. Also noticed my fuel pump turns on more than once before starting my truck, like it’s just sending fuel somewhere but I have ZERO leaks. Help

Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by mgibson2074
Been almost a year since last posted. In that time my transmission gave out. I had it rebuilt, and still have the jerk/bucking/hiccup WHATEVER you want to call it. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. I’ve spent all this time trying to find something or someone who’s heard of this. The only code I’m throwing on the truck is a P0340. It’s overdue but I’m going to change the plugs, wires, the entire distributor, coil, and put new injectors in. Literally everything on this truck works fine. I’ve taken it back to the same shop twice and they’ve finally suggested it could be my PCM...what??? I thought bad PCM’s caused no start/crank or No BUS? What do you guys think? Is the tune up even worth it now? The shop I take it to is local. The mechanic is a local legend and is known to be the best in this area. Also noticed my fuel pump turns on more than once before starting my truck, like it’s just sending fuel somewhere but I have ZERO leaks. Help
I wouldn't say it's the PCM just yet. Use logic there is only a few things they are operational when that jerking happens, and they is the Engine, tranny, rest axle, and driveshaft. Check those out first.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A "jerk/bucking/hiccup" sounds like a misfire. Especially in light of your fuel pump coming on twice (as though it pressurizes the system, immediately loses pressure, and has to the re-pressurize the system), I'd get a fuel pressure gauge from the rent-a-tool program at O'Reilly or Autozone and see if you're losing fuel pressure or if it is even in the proper range at all.