2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speedo, fuel gauge, and CEL problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Speedo, fuel gauge, and CEL problems

Just took my truck for the first drive since installing the rebuilt engine. It runs great, but I've got a few little issues that have me scratching my head:

1. The speedometer and fuel gauge don't work. They were working the last time it ran, before the engine rebuild. Also, all the other gauges are working fine.

2. The CEL light is on, so is "brake" and "abs".

3. The seatbelts will not release from the reel in the seat in both front chairs. The seatbelts are both fully retracted, but you can't pull them out in order to put on the seatbelt.

Any ideas?

Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Likely a selection of problems, my guess is, you have some bad connections somewhere. Check the PCM first..... I would also have a look at the brake switch..... (yeah, something you didn't touch.....) that would account for the ABS, and seatbelts.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Autozone plugged their scan tool to my truck and got the following codes:
PCM RAM failure,
ABS sensor failure,
Fuel sender error.

B&G Performance had tuned my PCM, so I called them. They said to send it back and they would check their work. They had accidentally installed a "California base code" and they fixed it. I plugged it back in and the seatbelts worked now, but the speedometer and odometer still didn't. I replaced the ABS sensor in the rear differential and the speed sensor in the rear of the transmission. It didn't fix the speedometer or odometer.

I took it to a shop with a more in-depth diagnostic software than AutoZone. They cleared the previous codes and then scanned. Now the only error code it throws are:
Fuel sender error -voltage too high,
error code 72 - "this code is typically a ROM (Read Only Memory) checksum error meaning the base program stored in your ABS controller has become corrupted and the controller needs to be replaced."

The ABS controller is fairly pricey, so before I buy one, I'm wandering if you guys think a goofy ABS controller could cause the speedo and odometer to not work?

Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The PCM ram failure invalidates everything else. Need to fix that first.

Even if that one isn't coming back, the 72 is not a good sign. I would have a chat with B&G again.

Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Went through every diagnostic test in the book. Eventually tracked it down to the little 6" wiring extension on top of the rear differential. Replaced it and the speedo and odometer work now. No codes.

The seatbelts were still locked up, so I went through all the related tests and it ended up being the seatbelt timer module. Since nobody makes that part any more and it is on permanent national backorder, I just removed the solenoids from the seatbelt reels and the seatbelts work now.

Last edited by Big Green 360; 11-14-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

But, will they lock in an accident? Or if you slam on the brakes hard? Think I would test that under controlled conditions, before having a test forced on you, and finding out that no, they do indeed NOT work......

Old 11-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie

Yes, they have the inertia lock. I tested them, and they lock up under hard braking just fine.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

You should be golden then. Might be able to find the module on the used market? Car-part.com, or minton motors?