2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible computer problem or wire with bad connection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,967 Posts

Those are fairly generic pics, and only give a general idea. I think you found your two sensors.

Old 08-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Scottmed1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the ntk sensor from rock auto but one of the "square slots" on the female fitting is in a different position as the original and it won't plug in to the trucks male connector. Also on the ntk connection it says 6n and on the one that was already in the truck it says 3n. I will return the ntk but I don't know which one to get now as ntk doesn't show pics of there connectors on the website. Denso has 1 with a pic of the connection that looks right but oem for my truck is ntk. Should I get the denso or just keep ordering and returning ntk' s until I get the right one

Old 08-20-2017, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

The denso sensor will work just as well.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:33 AM
Scottmed1
Rookie

I replaced the o2 sensor with an ntk. Still no change. As the weather gets cooler in the morning the problem seems to worsen. I think I can hear a click right before the engine starts "sputtering " now . It's hard to tell where it's coming from while driving but it sounds like it might be from the fuse box but I can't be sure. I'm saving up for a new computer now to see if it will solve the problem. I just don't know what else to do. If it keeps getting worse as the weather gets colder then by winter time I'm gonna be in real trouble

Old 08-29-2017, 09:03 AM
CJSuhr
Veteran

If you think you hear a click from the fuse box, try swapping the ASD relay with a known good relay, like the horn relay. Drive it as see what happens. The ASD relay plays a big part in the fuel system. Basically a dumned down version, when the pcm ground the ASD relay, it sends the truck into closed loop.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by CJSuhr
If you think you hear a click from the fuse box, try swapping the ASD relay with a known good relay, like the horn relay. Drive it as see what happens. The ASD relay plays a big part in the fuel system. Basically a dumned down version, when the pcm ground the ASD relay, it sends the truck into closed loop.
Um. No. The ASD relay supplies power to the coil, and fuel injectors. If the relay fails, the engine simply won't run. It's possible that it is just not providing adequate voltage though, so, swapping it with the horn relay, just as a test, isn't a bad idea.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:26 PM
Scottmed1
Rookie

Ill try that in the morning when the truck has been sitting all night as that is when the problem is the worst. I just don't understand why the problem goes away after the truck has been driving for 10-15 min but if I just letting it idle for 15 min before I drive it the problem is still there and also there is no cel

Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 PM
Scottmed1
Rookie

So the truck still has the problem. Today I replaced the down stream 02 sensor. I did this because I already did the upstream and I had ordered the downstream from rock auto by accident so I had it and figured replacing both wouldn't hurt. There was no cel before I replaced it but it was sputtering and almost stalling while trying to climb hills before the truck is completely warmed up. After about 20 miles of driving with the new ntk downstream sensor installed the cel came on. There are 2 codes now. P0138 and p1687. What does this mean? I thought 138 was bad downstream sensor but it's brand new and the truck wasn't throwing the code before it was installed. I have no idea bout the 1687 code, could this have something to do with what the local mechanic told me bout the computer losing communication while the truck is sputtering?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

P0138 O2 sensor circuit high. (B1S2) Rear O2 sensor isn't as active as front...... see what voltage is coming out of the sensor, and what it's doing. Possibly just a bad sensor. (yeah, just because its NEW........)

p1687 No bus message from Mechanical instrument cluster..... Basically, the cluster isn't talking to the PCM.... Do all your gauges and such work? Or do they drop out once in a while?

Old 09-17-2017, 09:41 AM
Scottmed1
Rookie

All gauges work although a couple months ago the gas guage didn't work for a couple days but it's been fine ever since. Could the cat be bad, there is always a small amount of white smoke outta the tailpipe. Could these codes have nothing to do with the problem I have climbing even the slightest hills . After all the work I put into this truck (transmission, suspension, body work, etc) not being able to figure this out is killing me