2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering or Suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 10:51 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Dash* not day

Old 08-10-2017, 12:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Not really.... There is a place you can buy 'reconditioned' PCM's that is a sponsor here, but, I have no clue how reputable they are.... I suppose every place has their horror stories. I usually try and just go to the local parts store, so, if there is a problem, I can talk to a real human being about warranty exchange/refund...... I think prices are about the same....

I don't know if the engine harness is separate from the dash harness, I also don't know if they are pinned the same.... (Think this discussion took place in another thread recently as well, but, I just don't recall the outcome...) If you have the 01 harness, likely save yourself a fair bit of headache just replacing it.

I think that includes the trans harness in the engine harness? You WOULD need to change governor pressure sensor/solenoid in the trans though. (and that would likely require changing the TCC, and O/D solenoids as well, as I think THAT harness plug is different..... internal to the trans.) Governor solenoid uses a different retainer clip as well.

Use the harness that comes with the 01 dash. (the CTM and such is in the dash....)

Old 08-10-2017, 05:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not really.... There is a place you can buy 'reconditioned' PCM's that is a sponsor here, but, I have no clue how reputable they are.... I suppose every place has their horror stories. I usually try and just go to the local parts store, so, if there is a problem, I can talk to a real human being about warranty exchange/refund...... I think prices are about the same....

I don't know if the engine harness is separate from the dash harness, I also don't know if they are pinned the same.... (Think this discussion took place in another thread recently as well, but, I just don't recall the outcome...) If you have the 01 harness, likely save yourself a fair bit of headache just replacing it.

I think that includes the trans harness in the engine harness? You WOULD need to change governor pressure sensor/solenoid in the trans though. (and that would likely require changing the TCC, and O/D solenoids as well, as I think THAT harness plug is different..... internal to the trans.) Governor solenoid uses a different retainer clip as well.

Use the harness that comes with the 01 dash. (the CTM and such is in the dash....)
I have both FSMs so I'll take a look and post up my results. I know the dash harness is different and the engine bay harness isn't they just took the three plugs in the engine bay (96) on the firewall to just two 97.5-01)

Old 08-18-2017, 03:23 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Well my suspension/steering issues were this:
1. Play was in the junk steering box (ordered the red top one)
2.The wander was not coming from the track bar. It was the pitman arm lose, bad upper driver's balling, bad lower passenger ball joint (I'm taking really bad in this one).
Will post after installation of these. Sorry for getting back late this SEMA build is taking up a lot of my time.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the rock solid ram link for the steering, my actual steering wheel has a little play to the left and right, I heard after so many years that these trucks didn't have the best factory front ends in the world, when I was down up under doing the oil before I noticed what appeared to be new ball joints though and the actual steering itself is accurate and goes where I'm aiming, just the actual steering wheel has a bit of play to the left and right, maybe that $59 kit will solve my problem. I watched some DIY vids on youtube where people used cut up garden hose to supposedly fix the same issue, lol, but I'd probably trust this kit better than some random garden hose....I'll try to post the vids whenever I find them

edit: actually here's one, the guy already has the rock solid ram fix installed but fixed the rest of the problems with a DIY fix, maybe this will help myself and others,

Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91
Thanks for the rock solid ram link for the steering, my actual steering wheel has a little play to the left and right, I heard after so many years that these trucks didn't have the best factory front ends in the world, when I was down up under doing the oil before I noticed what appeared to be new ball joints though and the actual steering itself is accurate and goes where I'm aiming, just the actual steering wheel has a bit of play to the left and right, maybe that $59 kit will solve my problem. I watched some DIY vids on youtube where people used cut up garden hose to supposedly fix the same issue, lol, but I'd probably trust this kit better than some random garden hose....I'll try to post the vids whenever I find them

edit: actually here's one, the guy already has the rock solid ram fix installed but fixed the rest of the problems with a DIY fix, maybe this will help myself and others, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze4Qh3UxOb8
Thanks for posting that for future viewers!

Old 08-28-2017, 05:54 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just ordered a belt online to try the guy's fix, if that doesn't work I may need a new steering box or that rock solid ram fix. It's weird, online in comments some swear the ram fix corrected their issues, other people said "it did nothing but make my wheel very hard to turn" . I'm unsure myself. Mine doesn't have horrible rattle or anything, just some play in the wheel left and right, the steering itself is accurate and has somewhat new springs, shocks, and ball joints I saw when I was under doing the oil before so maybe it's something simple

if not I'll do one thing at a time, with new parts hopefully this thing lasts me a lifetime, I still love these trucks

Old 01-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Rac82
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your noise

Did you solve your noise issue

Old 01-09-2018, 12:35 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Rac82
Did you solve your noise issue
Was loose upper shock nuts. Still have a clunk though

Old 01-09-2018, 12:36 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Moparite
Why? What about the wheel bearings ball joints?
Kid I bought it off of staring using it for parts for his other Cummins. Axles, cab, hood, fever, and leveling kit went to his other truck. When I bought the truck it had a Cummins in it but I swapped it to a gasser