2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Datacom1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Crankshaft Position Sensor Signal Problem

I have a 1995 Ram with a 5.2l engine. It stopped running and I traced the problem down to the crankshaft position sensor. I replaced the sensor and I still do not get any Signal. I have voltage and ground, but when I crank or turn the crank shaft manually, I can not get a signal. I've tried 3 different sensors. Tested the wire-harness, et al, but still no signal. It is possible there is something wrong with the triggering device (flex plate)?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,207 Likes on 2,959 Posts

It's a stamped steel plate, with holes in it. Not much to go wrong there.... You can pull the sensor, and it's grommet (if it's still there), and look down in there with a mirror, (and flashlight....) and see if its turning.... A friend to help is pretty much a requirement there. Turning by hand would be best...... less likely to grab a hold of you, and try and drag you in. (serp belt)

Welcome to DF!

Signal from crank sensor should be a pulse every now and then..... I don't think trying to read it with a digital multi-meter will work.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Datacom1
Default Code 11 and 37

The codes I am getting is 11 (camshaft sensor tested good, crankshaft sensor passed the ohm test) and 37 Torque converter clutch solenoid CKT or park/neutral switch failure. Could error 37 keep the engine from getting spark?

Last edited by Datacom1; 08-30-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:01 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

Pull the sensor out and test it by putting piece of metal in front of it then taking it away. Turning the crank shaft does the same thing. What are you using to test it? Analog meter would be better, Most digital meters don't have bar graphs unless it's a higher end one. The pcm needs to see a signal from both crank and cam sensor or you won't get a spark.

Old 08-31-2017, 02:41 PM
Datacom1

Well, the cam position sensor pulse 5 volts, and there is a brand new crankshaft sensor. I also replaced the ecm and spliced a new wiring harness from the crankshaft position sensor to the ecm. Still no ground for the auto shutdown relay. Are there any other things that will cause the auto shutdown relay not to ground?

Old 08-31-2017, 04:34 PM
Datacom1

Originally Posted by Moparite
Pull the sensor out and test it by putting piece of metal in front of it then taking it away. Turning the crank shaft does the same thing. What are you using to test it? Analog meter would be better, Most digital meters don't have bar graphs unless it's a higher end one. The pcm needs to see a signal from both crank and cam sensor or you won't get a spark.
I pulled the sensor and got between 10mv and 22mv depending on how far the metal was away. Cam gave a 5v pulse

Old 09-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 352 Likes on 331 Posts

See the article below it has info on hall effect sensors.

Still no ground for the auto shutdown relay.
The pcm supplies the ground to turn on the asd, You should have it when cranking if you leave key on(no cranking) it will shut off the asd in a few seconds.

http://www.wellsve.com/sft503/Counterpoint3_1.pdf

Old 09-01-2017, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,207 Likes on 2,959 Posts

If the PCM doesn't initially ground the ASD relay when you first turn the key on, then there is another problem there somewhere.