2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 Ram 318 running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM
WTL
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we'll, finally it spat out a code; 54, fuel sync.

I won't be able to switch it out till next week, but camshaft sensor is what I'm thinking.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,291 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Has the distributor been moved/messed with in recent memory? Is the hold down bolt tight?

Old 04-19-2018, 01:04 PM
WTL
Professional

I replaced cap and rotor, but didn't move distributor or pickup.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Think I would check fuel sync, before replacing the sensor....... Need to pretty good scanner to read it though. I doubt the parts store fellers will.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:40 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Under the heading of things you're shore it'snot...
1)you're sure your cat isn't clogged
2)you're sure your evap system is working properly and not evacuating the gas tank, and...
You're fed up enough that even without an expensive scanner to set fuel sync you're willing to give it a try. First, mark the dist base where it makes contact with the hold down clamp (this will be your origin marker in case this doesn't work), then loosen the distributor hold down just enough so the dist will move with just a little protest. Move her a few degrees n 1 direction, if no improvement, then the other. All the while, trying to start her up. If she starts easy, you know you're in the ballpark. Then take her for a drive round the block n see if anything changes. At least by a process of elimination you can rule out sync. I've done it that way before, time consuming yes, but it works. Not exact like a scanner would...however...if you have more time than money...

Old 04-20-2018, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

95 has egr as well.... another failure point.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:34 PM
WTL
Professional

One thing I did after it started running poorly is I blocked the EGRtube, just to see if things got better, worse or no change. No change.

The cat is definitely not blocked.

I can't say on the EVAP cannister. Wouldnt understand how to check that.

Isn't the code 54 for not getting a camshaft signal at all? If so, wouldnt it demand that it is either the sensor not working, the connection not connecting, or maybe the PCM not understanding that one thing and so not even trying to sync?

I'd be glad to turn the distributor a bit, its way back there so yeah, its not gonna be fun...but at this point, I have invested enough effort Im gonna figure this out. I do appreciate yalls help.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by WTL
One thing I did after it started running poorly is I blocked the EGRtube, just to see if things got better, worse or no change. No change.

The cat is definitely not blocked.

I can't say on the EVAP cannister. Wouldnt understand how to check that.

Isn't the code 54 for not getting a camshaft signal at all? If so, wouldnt it demand that it is either the sensor not working, the connection not connecting, or maybe the PCM not understanding that one thing and so not even trying to sync?

I'd be glad to turn the distributor a bit, its way back there so yeah, its not gonna be fun...but at this point, I have invested enough effort Im gonna figure this out. I do appreciate yalls help.
Yep. 54 is no cam sync signal at PCM. Might be as simple as a failed sensor.

Old 04-28-2018, 07:28 PM
WTL
Professional

Cam sensor replaced, no change.

Put fuel pressure gauge on it, 39 psi...isnt that correct for a 95?

Truck runs the same with gas cap on or off.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:38 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Does your 95 have an ASD relay? It's what turns on n off your gas n spark. That said, I've never had or seen a bad ASD relay, I've read here recently where a bad ASD circuit can cause all sorts of bad juju when it comes to astarting, running n stalling. Pull your ASD relay out, clean the socket n leads n swap it with a similar relay from the main power module n see what happens. All my relays are the same n I've a '96.