2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 Ram 318 running very rough

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:03 PM
mattross257
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What and where did you find a fuel pressure gauge? I have suspected fuel delivery issues with my 96 and I would like to test the pressure at the Schroeder valve and see what it is.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:35 PM
jmontgomery
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually experienced a very similar issue in my 98. It turned out to be the catalytic converter. The metals had melted inside and it caused the truck to get backed up and it was farting and spitting pretty hard. It was throwing misfire codes on 3 and 5. I would've never guessed that it was the catalytic with the way that it was running, I'd never experienced anything like it. I've seen bad cats before but nothing like that. It took my mechanics to find the problem and even then it took a while. Take a look at your cat and find out if that is in check. I could be totally wrong but this sounds similar. My truck would hardly run and it sounded really gnarly. I did everything that you've talked about before taking it to my mechanics. A key sign for mine was that the spark plugs were getting really gunked up after just putting new ones in. I also replaced the fuel pump thinking that it was a fuel delivery issue which didn't solve the issue but it may have helped.

Last edited by jmontgomery; 05-07-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:37 PM
jmontgomery

Originally Posted by WTL
Cam sensor replaced, no change.

Put fuel pressure gauge on it, 39 psi...isnt that correct for a 95?

Truck runs the same with gas cap on or off.
Yeah generallly they run at about 44-50 so 39 isn't too much of a variation from what is optimal.

Old 05-08-2018, 06:18 PM
mwclark
Default 2000 ram 318 idles rough at times when at light or shuts off at idle speed

Alright gents, I have had my Ram for 10yrs now at never heard of anything like this. I can start it and take off just fine, sometimes when I get to a red light or stop sign it will idle rough and sometimes stall. It has stalled a couple times when slowing down enough to make turns or idle though a parking lot. It will run great just going down the road.
after reading several of these threads, I’ve going to start with a new PCV and a couple check valves. Also going to check the MAP sensor as soon as I can find it. I can’t hear any leaks. The IAC was replaced last for creating a massive hissing noise and really bad idle at start up.
This is my only ride so disassembly is going to be hard.
any other suggestions would be great.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,291 Likes on 3,038 Posts

Did you clean the throttle body good when you replaced the IAC? Two problems there, generally, the issues isn't the IAC itself, its all the crap that builds up in the IAC well. Second issue is: these trucks don't really like the aftermarket parts...... I replaced my IAC with the parts store brand, and it was *better* but, still not fixed. Installed a mopar IAC that I had from another motor, and issue was gone.....

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM
mwclark

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you clean the throttle body good when you replaced the IAC? Two problems there, generally, the issues isn't the IAC itself, its all the crap that builds up in the IAC well. Second issue is: these trucks don't really like the aftermarket parts...... I replaced my IAC with the parts store brand, and it was *better* but, still not fixed. Installed a mopar IAC that I had from another motor, and issue was gone.....
No I did not. That issue is actually fixed. At least I hope. It was a year ago. Not a biggie. I can try tomorrow. Not real sure how without pulling the throttle body off.
This issue just started last week. I thought it may have something to do with my exhaust since the extension pipe broke a couple weeks ago. Man I love the sound of that rumble, but after getting the muffler replaced this issue didn’t go away.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,291 Likes on 3,038 Posts

The tb gasket is like two bucks at the parts store. Taking it off makes it a lot easier to clean.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:11 PM
mwclark

I’ll pick one up tomorrow when I get my caliper and check valves. They had to be ordered. While I have it off I’ll blow some smoke into the intake and check for leaks.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Just a little tipsy: RockAuto every one in awhile will have a wholesale on gaskets and I buy them all. I have 12 sets gaskets for everything on the truck and I mean everything. I got them for $0.15 a piece total sorry shopping came to about $35.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:43 PM
mwclark

Cool thank you