2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mym first Ram truck and an ABS nightmare.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Mbrgr1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mym first Ram truck and an ABS nightmare.

1999 Dodge Ram 2500, ABS and brake light on. Kelsey Hayes 125 (Dodge RWAL)

The only code is an 84 "Vehicle Identification mismatch". It does have a used module on it from a 98. I realize the axle ratios etc need to match.

Dealer cannot (according to them) use their DRBIII to reprogram the abs module and Dodge no longer makes the module and neither does anyone in aftermarket .

So am I doomed to see my warning lights on forever or be forced to remove the bulbs? Very disappointing!

Thanks. MK

Old 09-07-2017, 03:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

That dealer is a liar. They need to reprogram the module so it knows that your truck is only RWAL. Plus the VIN needs to match. Your module giving that code is technically correct it isn't in the right vehicle.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Mbrgr1

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
That dealer is a liar. They need to reprogram the module so it knows that your truck is only RWAL. Plus the VIN needs to match. Your module giving that code is technically correct it isn't in the right vehicle.
The KH 125 was only used on the RWAL so that should not be an issue and it came from a RWAL truck anyway.

Do you think they just don't know how to do it? They screwed around with it for an hour but did not charge me anything, just said they could not do it! I would think they would have liked to collect the labor money since they cannot sell me a new one.

I wish I could talk to someone who knows how to use a DRBII ! I cant afford to buy one to see if it is possible. !!

Old 09-07-2017, 04:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbrgr1
The KH 125 was only used on the RWAL so that should not be an issue and it came from a RWAL truck anyway.

Do you think they just don't know how to do it? They screwed around with it for an hour but did not charge me anything, just said they could not do it! I would think they would have liked to collect the labor money since they cannot sell me a new one.

I wish I could talk to someone who knows how to use a DRBII ! I cant afford to buy one to see if it is possible. !!
Its possible I just called my local dealer and he said they can. His exact words were, "Yes we can program them, because if you bought it new it would have to be programmed." When asked how do you do it he said he can't say. Call Chrysler they helped me in the past when a dealer turned off my foglight switch in my 08. They will give you the steps so you can tell the technician.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:02 PM
Mbrgr1

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Its possible I just called my local dealer and he said they can. His exact words were, "Yes we can program them, because if you bought it new it would have to be programmed." When asked how do you do it he said he can't say. Call Chrysler they helped me in the past when a dealer turned off my foglight switch in my 08. They will give you the steps so you can tell the technician.
Thanks, called the Dodge helpline yesterday and they contacted the dealer I went to who told the helpline they cant do it, they said sorry and that was the end of that. I called the other dealer here in town and they would not discuss my specific question but said they would be happy to "look" at it, that is what the other dealer said. I asked the first dealer if they treated the used one as if it were new and commanded the DRBII to program it and they said yes, but could not tell me exactly why it would not work.

I just wish I could get a straight answer!

Old 09-07-2017, 06:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

If they give you a straight answer, then you might be able to solve it on your own.

Call some of the independent shops, and see if they can help you out. Some of the higher zoot scanners should be able to deal with it.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM
BigGreenRam
Professional
Default My abs was messed up too

New rear rwal sensor use dodge parts!!!! New abs module works no lights on now but it will come from time to time it needs to have your vin put in it and u should be good then