Tire size question - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page > Tire size question
Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tire size question

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Cadillacman
Cadillacman is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 26
Default Tire size question

Ok, I put Dana 70 in front and Dana 80 in the rear of my 1500 with 3/4 ton diesel coils in the front. So essentially my truck is now a 2500. What i need to know is what is the largest tire that I can go with without having to do much more than a levelling kit for the front? I'm thinking 315 75 r16 should fit but want some opinions.
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 44,635
Default

35's with just a level. Should fit no problems.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 AM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,299
Default

2500s have different frames and wider leaf spring packs with different GVW. Not to mention different transmissions. But you're close, I guess. One can get 35s on a 1500 with a 3" lift so the taller frame and coils should clear it. Depends on the brand of tires. Some run large, some run small.
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:34 AM
frankie_b_jr's Avatar
frankie_b_jr
frankie_b_jr is offline
Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Nevada
Posts: 474
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
2500s have different frames and wider leaf spring packs with different GVW. Not to mention different transmissions. But you're close, I guess. One can get 35s on a 1500 with a 3" lift so the taller frame and coils should clear it. Depends on the brand of tires. Some run large, some run small.
To my knowledge there is no difference in the frames from the 1500 to the 3500. I know there was no frame difference between a 97 1500 and late 98 2500 from my cab swap. Just curious where you're getting that info.
Otherwise you are correct.
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:07 AM
Cadillacman
Cadillacman is offline
Amateur
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 26
Default

Ya the 1500 frame is different than the 2500. 2500 is a lot heavier. At least compared from a 96 2500 to a 01 1500
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 44,635
Default

Transmissions are the same too... aside from the diesel, and V-10.....
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Professional
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
Default

Originally Posted by Cadillacman View Post
Ya the 1500 frame is different than the 2500. 2500 is a lot heavier. At least compared from a 96 2500 to a 01 1500
Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr View Post
To my knowledge there is no difference in the frames from the 1500 to the 3500. I know there was no frame difference between a 97 1500 and late 98 2500 from my cab swap. Just curious where you're getting that info.
Otherwise you are correct.
Sorry but they are not different. I cut apart both a 01 1500 and 01 2500 they both have the same frames with the same thickness. What gives you the higher GAVE is the axles, more springs, and usually thicker coils. Now with diesel you get even more ( even the V-10) by heavier engine and even heavier springs. Take the 2500 LD had the same axles as a 1500 with just more springs but same frame. ALL-PAR has an article on where they tear down a 1500 and a 2500 LD and they are the same except some 2500LD did have front D60
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2017, 01:33 PM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,299
Default

(Yes, I was referring to V10/CTD HDs trans since who would get an HD for the 5.9/46?)

So apparently, the whole internet has been wrong all these years. All of our posts and various forums (I've been on since 2005 on forums) always claimed that the HDs had bigger/ taller frames. Even my memory says that my ex's 2500 v10 had a much larger frame than mine. There's also people who claim their cummins has a taller frame than their 1500.

This is the only frame dimensions I could find ANYWHERE. Notice it only mentions differences in the chassis/cab 2500/3500:
http://dodgeram.info/2001/dimensions.html

This is the only schematic I could find ANYWHERE:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rences-326677/

No one has ever recommended or claimed to do a cummins swap in a 1500 until this guy. Notice he completely changed the suspension and modified the frame:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge...mins-swap.html

here he is again on here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...cummins-3.html

Here's a guy that claims the cummins frame is much taller than the gasser, as well as a guy betting that the frame is thicker:
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-vs-2500-frame

So apparently, unless we all go and measure our trucks at the same places with calipers for thickness for proof, we were all wrong all these years. Maybe the HD frame had a bit thicker steel, or higher tensil properties, but it sure looks like Dodge used the same frame for all models.

I'm going to go eat my crow breakfast now. . . .
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:57 PM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 44,635
Default

It's really good with Ketchup.
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:19 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is offline
Professional
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 125
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
(Yes, I was referring to V10/CTD HDs trans since who would get an HD for the 5.9/46?)

So apparently, the whole internet has been wrong all these years. All of our posts and various forums (I've been on since 2005 on forums) always claimed that the HDs had bigger/ taller frames. Even my memory says that my ex's 2500 v10 had a much larger frame than mine. There's also people who claim their cummins has a taller frame than their 1500.

This is the only frame dimensions I could find ANYWHERE. Notice it only mentions differences in the chassis/cab 2500/3500:
http://dodgeram.info/2001/dimensions.html

This is the only schematic I could find ANYWHERE:
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...rences-326677/

No one has ever recommended or claimed to do a cummins swap in a 1500 until this guy. Notice he completely changed the suspension and modified the frame:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/dodge...mins-swap.html

here he is again on here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...cummins-3.html

Here's a guy that claims the cummins frame is much taller than the gasser, as well as a guy betting that the frame is thicker:
https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...-vs-2500-frame

So apparently, unless we all go and measure our trucks at the same places with calipers for thickness for proof, we were all wrong all these years. Maybe the HD frame had a bit thicker steel, or higher tensil properties, but it sure looks like Dodge used the same frame for all models.

I'm going to go eat my crow breakfast now. . . .
I scraped a 01 2500 CTD and an 01 1500. Had to cut the frames no title. I have the pictures somewhere I can get for you they are identical and the same thickness with a caliper. They where the same wheelbase trucks. I'm not trying to argue (as I don't know everything) in just trying to let me know what I know or have found out. Isn't that the internet was intended for lol
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:21 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: