2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electrical HELP ASAP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 07:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Doesn't that plug into the back of the cluster?

What was your fix??

Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM
dacker
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently the plugs going into the cluster weren't seated good enough. And no it just plugged into a cap about knee height behind that panel

Old 10-15-2017, 08:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, at least its fixed.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 PM
dacker
Rookie

You are correct!!! I really appreciate all your help my friend along with anyone else that contributed!!!

Old 11-30-2017, 08:49 AM
dacker
Rookie
Default 90% Complete

Well I know it's been a couple weeks but I got most everything up and running. I even did the led conversion while I had everything apart. Last 2 issues I have to fix that I need a little advice on and I'm betting they're related to each other in some way.
1) with the lights off and I apply the brake the parking lights and instrument panel lights come on along with the brake lights.
2) the remote start/alarm functions exactly as it should with the exception of actually cranking. I hit the button, parking lights come on, I hear the fuel pump cycle, then nothing. After 5 or 10 seconds it repeats the whole process since it never actually cranked and does it for 3 cycles. So any advice on where to start looking for these last couple of issues?

Old 11-30-2017, 09:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You have a short somewhere...... stepping on the ebrake shouldn't turn on ANY lights with the ignition off....... That's just bizarre.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:23 PM
Maximillio
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would assume short somewhere as well for brake lights issue. So check the brake light wire that runs under dash. In my truck it was a White with tan wire.

As far as remote start, it sounds like its not sending voltage to the starter to crank the engine, so I would check that, but if your truck is starting with the key, Id be under the suspicion the wire is fine and the remote start would be at fault for not sending out. The way remote starts work is they have a 12V constant power that they can supply to other wires. So essentially when it begins the remote start process, it powers the wires that turning the key to on in, so Ignition 1 - 2 and accessory power, if I remember right, I could check for you. And that is essentially the key turning forward, then at that point it applies power to the starter wire to begin cranking it, until it detects the engine has started. Once again just mimicking the key being on, then turning forward. If youre unsure about wires, always google online, there are generally wiring diagrams for the common remote start wires, and even then, I would do things like probe the wire and press the brake to ensure proper function. Starter wire in mine was yellow color, duno about your year.

As a quick reminder, if you're probing wires with a DMM, Don't stab yourself in the finger, and if soldering any live wire, don't create a short to ground with the iron lol

Old 12-03-2017, 07:53 AM
dacker
Rookie

Well I figured out the brake/parking lights issue. I knew this bulb was out just never dreamed it would have caused that issue but changing it fixed it. Now just have to figure out the remote start issue. And trust me I've probed my finger more than once and that crap hurts!!!! Lol