2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Sport Dual Headlight Inboard Not Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:37 PM
fueldog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Sport Dual Headlight Inboard Not Work

2001 Ram 2500 Sport 5.9L Cummins Dual Headlights, the Inboards not coming on, Outboards work both in High, Low and Flash, but the Inboards not work. Correct Bulbs are in proper location and the wires to the bulbs have power, it seems there is a open ground somehere. I have traced circuit from lights to the PDC and Quad High Beam Relay, and its working, but can't seem to find where the Open is for ground, since the Outboards work but not the inboards.. This truck built in Mexico, so its not Canadian and does not have DRL installed. Any Ideas, I can't seem to find anyone else that has had this issue.. Thanks

Old 09-29-2017, 08:59 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried a known good bulb on the inboard plugs? sounds dumb, but i've seen others, including myself chase things without first making sure the part was good to begin with. also the outers should only work in low only, unless someone altered the wiring. it's a good mod, but i don't believe they came that way stock.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Brian is Correct. With the high beams on, the low beams (outboard bulbs) should NOT be. All four should lite up in 'flash' mode.

Do you actually hear/feel the click when you try to switch to high beams?

Old 09-30-2017, 10:12 AM
fueldog

Hi, thanks for reply,,, I have the Service Manual and according to the Manual, the inboards where my issue is use the HB1 9004LL are considered High Beam. Yes have tried and verified good bulbs, etc.. What is also weired to me is both wires to the Inboard light bulbs show power, in other words the wires are hot... since the Outboards are working both for High and Low and that Outboard socket bulbs are HB5 9007 High and Low Beam Bulb.. I'm still lost in trying to find the circuits and ground that is keeping this from working.. from the Headlilghts sockets wires themselves, the wire to the Inboards are or look original not been hijacked, but are Pinkish Red and Green only two wires to the Inboard bulbs..Yet the manual does not show that color at that location. Am I missing something? If both are hot wires all the time, and the housing is plastic how is the circuit completed to light the bulbs.
Baffeled
Fueldog Ric
ps. Thanks for a hand, looks like need more,lol

Old 09-30-2017, 10:25 AM
fueldog

HeyYou, Thanks,
Yes, Brian is right about having correct bulbs, bought truck used, have no idea what someone else may have done, but the bulb wire leads look OEM. When you hit the Flash, only the Outboards lite and looks like both elements the HIgh and Low lite best I can tell.. but No Inboards.. I never give up, but I'm baffled at the service manual wiring to this light system.. between the dash light switch, the multi-function switch, CMT, and the VTSS its a mess to how any of it works.. lol. I prefer the KISS method,lol
Will keep searching, just don't understand how the hot wires, the two that feed the Inboard High Beam Bulbs HB1 9004LL can light when both wires are hot, bulbs in a plastic housing and no ground.. so the manual says that if High beams don't light it is a ground problem, yet manual does not share about my issue, where I have High Beam on Outboard but No lighting for Inboards.. Puzzled
Appreciate any and all ideas thoughts and help Thank You
Fueldog Ric

Old 09-30-2017, 12:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ok, on the quad headlamps, the inboards (high beams) are controlled by a relay. The relay controls the GROUND side of the circuit. Check the relay. I bet its bad. Its in the PDC, right behind the battery.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 PM
fueldog

HeyYou, thanks, did verify the circuit and the relay, all good there, even if you jumper the relay pin 87 of relay to pin 30 which is to ground has no effect on making the Inboard to work.. From what I can determine now, is the two things I have to check is multi-function switch ( high / low beam,flash, wiper switch), need to check pins 18,19 Low Beam Continuity, 19,20 High Beam Continuity, and pin 21 ground. However further research telling me that the multifunction switch on this year is just a toggle command to the CTM (central timer module) to power them up. So I will have to look into the pin outs.. I'm starting to run out of places and wires.. Appreciate any help and ideas..
Thanks,
Fueldog Ric

Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you see power on pin 30?

Multi-function switch only controls the relay. Jumping 30 to 87 should turn on the lights regardless of anything else. (including the headlight switch being off......)

Do you have continuity to ground on pin 87?

Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 PM
fueldog

Jumpered 87 to 30, nothing happens, of the Quad High Beam Relay, Pin 30, varies voltage, 1.6v to 6 volts.. , best I remember 87 has continuity to ground, will have to check it again.. been away from truck, will be working on it in morning.. seems I remember if voltage is applied to pin 87 say with a jumper lead, it acts as a direct short, which makes sense if 87 is ground..so if that's correct, why would Pin 30 have voltage? I thought 87 was to complete the ground of the circuit thru 30, as when the Relay pin 85 coil ground is energized from the multi-sw by pin 86 to close the 87/30 circuit to ground for the lights to shine? Now remember the Sport has the Quad High Beam Relay, that the outboard lights, work, Low/High and Flash, just the Inboards wont come on.. I must be overlooking missing something.. somewhere.. ?? I checked and will check again Fuses position in PDC Labeled B - (RT HD/LP) C - (LT HD/LP) and E - (Quad LP)
Thanks
Fueldog - Ric

Old 09-30-2017, 10:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The headlights are always powered. Even when the ignition is off. To turn the lights on, the relay completes the circuit to ground. If you are only seeing 6ish volts at pin 30, something is awry, should be 12 volts there. (or, whatever battery voltage is.)

It's possible you just have a bad connection somewhere. The meter reads correct voltage, as it is a very minor load. But, when you try and actually turn on the headlights, (significantly higher load) the circuit just doesn't have a good enough connection, so, nothing happens.....

Quick Reply: 2001 Sport Dual Headlight Inboard Not Work