2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax sure cure installed problems persist

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 03:19 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So 2 turns for both bands may be better? It is my understanding if I don’t back the bands off enough they won’t disengauge and will cause binding, how will I know this is happening or is it blatantly obvious? I can readjust the front band at work tonight and see if that helps tomorrow

Old 10-08-2017, 03:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yeah, to tight, and they won't disengage, too loose, and they won't engage properly. I trust monte, so, go for two turns, and see how it behaves.

Old 10-08-2017, 04:20 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

I’ll give it a shot, they had never been adjusted before so I already have removed a lot of slop.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:14 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Well that didn’t help. This getting stuck in second business is really aggravating and a bit baffling. I found out if I run out second and put in neutral then give a rev before drive it will go into third, but that’s a bit dramatic.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's just bizarre....

Unplug the 8 pin connector at the trans. Go for a drive. You will HAVE to shift the trans manually. There will be zero automatic function. See if it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:19 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

So unplugging the main connector removed first from the equation completely. After taking off in second the truck needed help getting into third but it was a bit more predictable. I didn’t get stuck in second but that issue isn’t consistent enough to say anything other than it didn’t do it right then.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:45 AM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That's just bizarre....

Unplug the 8 pin connector at the trans. Go for a drive. You will HAVE to shift the trans manually. There will be zero automatic function. See if it goes into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it.
Originally Posted by P1NKST@FF
So unplugging the main connector removed first from the equation completely. After taking off in second the truck needed help getting into third but it was a bit more predictable. I didn’t get stuck in second but that issue isn’t consistent enough to say anything other than it didn’t do it right then.
I'm not trying to be rude, but you did read the bolded part of HeyYou's quote right? If you don't have first gear by pulling the selector all the way down either your linkage needs some work or your trans is really messed up.

Now I'll let someone that knows what they're doing (like HeyYou) go back to helping you.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:13 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Originally Posted by frankie_b_jr
I'm not trying to be rude, but you did read the bolded part of HeyYou's quote right? If you don't have first gear by pulling the selector all the way down either your linkage needs some work or your trans is really messed up.

Now I'll let someone that knows what they're doing (like HeyYou) go back to helping you.
I shifted it into first but still had to take off in second, with it plugged in I can shift into first manually just not unplugged for some reason

Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it won't go into first gear when you pull the shifter down, with the electronics disabled, you have a mechanical problem inside the trans.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:55 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

What could it be? And why would it only be able to use first with the electronics hooked up?