2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax sure cure installed problems persist

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by P1NKST@FF
What could it be? And why would it only be able to use first with the electronics hooked up?
Good questions..... likely something is sticking, or broke.....

Old 10-14-2017, 03:58 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I have to weigh a full rebuild or sourcing a 5 speed 4x4 truck to swap with, for the work that trans needs I think my efforts would be better spent on a swap.

Thank you you for your help, I was hoping to milk some more use out of the old girl but I guess it’s too late

Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Hey guys, so I got my trans rebuilt by what turns out to be a very incompetent “builder”. When I reinstalled with new PATC converter and flushed cooler lines I never was able to get into revers and also had no engine braking in first. For some reason the throttle valve was not returning to its at rest position which caused delayed shifts and I still had to completely remove my foot from the throttle to get into third gear. I also noticed a lot of binding in second and a very delayed response when going from drive to neutral. I took the truck back to the shop so it could be diagnosed on Monday. As of Friday the guy is not answering my calls and when I went to check on the truck it was sitting out in the driveway with the doors unlocked and the key in the ignition. I cannot believe this guy at this point. I didn’t spend much time checking it it out but while I was there I found out it is going into reverse and drive but the delay coming out of drive persists, I checked the throttle valve cable and it seemed to be moving correctly now, but I assume it’s still binding in second and may have other issues as well. Could the binding and slow release of drive be from the bands being too tight?

Last edited by P1NKST@FF; 01-20-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Entirely possible.

I would be rather tempted to take it to another shop for a second opinion.......

Old 01-21-2018, 02:00 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

I left the truck there for the weekend because I’m afraid I’m going to have to sue this guy at least for the labor, I’m sure I’m looking at another full rebuild but hoping that maybe my issues are in the valvebody or band clearances. I’m really hesitant to trust any shop at this point because every shop I read about has both success and horror stories. Tomorrow afternoon I’ll start with band readjustment and see where that gets me.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Look at the ratio of good to bad. Figure that one in ten will right a good review, one in three will write a bad review, the rest don't bother either way...... Best bet is to talk to folks around town, and see if they have a shop they are happy with.....

Old 01-22-2018, 08:05 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Well I got my truck back today, it seems to at least stop accelerating when shifting 1/2 and 2/3 but over drive shifts smoothly, is this how you would describe binding? That I feel sure is because of the bands, I’m going to back the front one off a little and see how it does driving home. My real concern is that I can only get lockup going down a hill, is there any chance that this is because the converter is new or do I need to get into the valvebody and look for something clogged?

I also seem to have delayed shifts, the tv cable seems to be in adjustment, should I just give this time to relearn and see what it does?

Or does it just sound like I’m in over my head and need a professional.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Converter has nothing to do with Overdrive.

Break out with your 3/8ths drive torque wrench, (rent one, if you have to.) torque the easy one to 72 INCH pounds, then back it off two full turns. Re-tighten the jam nut. See if any of the behavior changes.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

I’ll have to rent the torque wrench, I have no trouble with overdrive, it’s lockup that’s giving me the issue. I wondered about solenoids since I’m not sure if they got replaced in the rebuild but I had no lockup trouble before.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

What did the place that rebuilt the trans have to say? Do you get lockup at all?? (it's only about a 200 RPM drop when it locks......)