2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sonnax sure cure installed problems persist

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 10:40 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My converter is an advertised 2600 stall so the difference is considerable now, they aren’t saying ****, claiming it’s working right and with the current level of incompetence I don’t want them touching my truck anymore. I just found the TV cable was not attached so that may solve my delayed shifts but I don’t think it pertains to lockup. I can tell for sure when it is locked up but I almost have to line it up perfectly like shifting a manual without the clutch, once locked it’s good, no slipping or anything it’s just getting it there.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

That's really strange..... Mine will look almost immediately after hitting third gear....... Wonder if the sonax kit has anything to do with it, or if pressure is bleeding off somewhere internal to the trans.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Well adjusting the front band seems to have made it worse. I got a check engine light today with error codes for shift solenoid “A” electrical, O2 sensor circuit high voltage, torque converter clutch circuit/open, transmission fluid temperature sensor “A” circuit range/performance. So it sounds like I may have a broken wire somewhere for the torque converter solenoid.

I tried unplugging the main main connector from the trans right next to the shift selector and manually shift to see hoe it reacts and it’s still starting in 2nd unplugged and is slow to shift into third. Also at WOT or about 3/4 throttle to 80 or so MPH the trans will shift fine, quick firm 1/2 and 2/3, then as I come off throttle it will go into overdrive and lockup with no trouble. Could all my problems be in the valve body? Im going to inspect the wiring on the outside tomorrow but I don’t understand why I still have issues with it unplugged.

its to looking more and more like I’ll be dropping the truck off at another shop this week and hoping for better luck.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There should be an 8 pin connector about halfway back, on the drivers side of the trans. That's that harness that controls all the internals. Given that your codes are pretty much related, I would take a close look at that connector..... Also, shorts in the O2 sensor wiring can play havoc with trans control...... But, yeah, time to go back to where you had it rebuilt.....

Old 01-24-2018, 11:16 AM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There should be an 8 pin connector about halfway back, on the drivers side of the trans. That's that harness that controls all the internals. Given that your codes are pretty much related, I would take a close look at that connector..... Also, shorts in the O2 sensor wiring can play havoc with trans control...... But, yeah, time to go back to where you had it rebuilt.....
That’s what I unplugged and still had sluggish shifting into third and no first gear. Going back isn’t an option, that guy doesn’t know what he’s doing so he’s claiming it’s fine and blaming my issues on the torque converter. Hoping it doesn’t need another damn rebuild which is what I expect any shop to say as that seems to be the standard response to any transmission issue.

Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it doesn't shift properly when you tell it to, with the electronics disabled, you need a rebuild. Apparently, the first time around was NOT done right, or even close. Makes ya wonder if he even rebuilt it at all.....