1996 ram 1500 4x4 brake problem - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page > 1996 ram 1500 4x4 brake problem
Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 ram 1500 4x4 brake problem

Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Tim Hager
Angry 1996 ram 1500 4x4 brake problem

Ok guys I have a 96 ram 1500 4x4 when I hit my brakes hard my front right side grabs so bad it eats my pads and rotor.. So I have replaced the rotors pads calibers brake hoses the rubber ones also the master cylinder a number of times and I am still having the same problem any help would be great if you can help me out here only thing left for me to change is the combination valve also none of the lights are on no abs light and no brake light are on.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:28 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Since you have changed everything else, (and I am assuming that means BOTH sides......) time to have a look at the hard lines.

Do you have 2 or 4 wheel abs?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Tim Hager

Yes have replaced everything on both sides including the headlines. It has 2 wheel abs

Old 10-16-2017, 10:49 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

That's just weird. Combination valve *shouldn't* matter, as it just breaks it up between front and rear circuits.......

Does the right side release properly? Does the passenger side get good pressure?

Old 10-16-2017, 10:57 PM
Tim Hager

Yes very weird lol been dealing with this for a few years now has great pressure on the right side but it don't want to release right. At first I thought maybe it was the rubber line on that side collapsing on its self so I replaced it and still does it. Now when I put on new pads rotor and caliber it does OK for a very short time maybe a week or so then back to the samething

Old 10-16-2017, 11:17 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Are the brakes bled out well?

Not releasing is suspicious. New caliper/line/hose shouldn't do that. If it is repeatable after replacing the caliper, I would suspect the soft line. (yes, even if it is new...) How often has THAT been replaced?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:28 PM
Tim Hager

Have replaced that line 3 times now I even took it to a shop and let them bleed the brakes thinking the samething.. Is it possible that for some reason I keep getting bad calibers?

Old 10-16-2017, 11:35 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

That many in a row? If so, I think I would recommend you buy a lottery ticket.......

If you can just pump the brakes a couple time, and make the caliper lock up....... Think I would yank that wheel, pump up the brakes, crack the bleeder. If the brakes release, pump them up again, and crack the line where the hard line meets the soft line. (up on the frame) and see if it breaks loose..... and just keep working my way back toward the M/C, see where it STOPS releasing the pressure, and you found your suspect component.

Calipers rarely fail.... I have replaced them due to other problems though.... (seized bleeder valves, messed up mounts or guides, etc.) But I think I can count the number of 'seized piston' replacements on one hand. (and I have been doing this a LONG time..... )

Old 10-16-2017, 11:50 PM
Tim Hager

Lol I have to replace the pads and rotor again this week so I'll start from the tire and work my way back to the master. Thank you for all the help will let us now how it goes.

Old 10-16-2017, 11:56 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Definitely let us know what you find. I am real curious on this one......

Search this Thread