2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Steering Slop... Kinda

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 01:47 PM
Tboned
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget the steering shaft itself has a 2 ujoints which can wear.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The play seems to be right where the intermediate shaft mounts to the box.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:16 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Then its time for a box. It's the biggest culprit but it seems easier to chase cheaper things. Just get a Redhead and see where you are. Odds are you'll solve it.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Why not? If done properly, it may actually solve the issue, or at least, reduce it significantly. I do these on a fairly regular basis. (ok, not lately, but, I used to......) Never had a problem. Sometimes it didn't work as well as I would have liked, but, next step is to replace the box. Adjusting it is free. Replacing it is not.
I followed this to a T...Time will tell, but I think a Redhead is in my future.

Link - http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1997/19-10-97.htm

Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by Tboned
Don't forget the steering shaft itself has a 2 ujoints which can wear.
Checked and it's in good condition.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2017, 09:12 AM
shak
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 105,000 miles on my '96 2WD 1500...I decided to just quit messing with the steering wander/death wobble problem...and get rid of everything Chrysler/Dodge. So... new Timken wheel bearings, MOOG...ball joints (upper and lower), pitman arm, tie rods, Rock Solid bushing fix, and a host of other MOOG steering/suspension hard parts & bushings. Replaced the brake calipers/pads,and shocks with well researched high end parts, and installed a steering box brace, and stabilizer/damper kit. Next up... Redhead box..
If MOOG, Timken, Borg Warner, Monroe and Redhead .... can't solve the damn problem...I'm headed for the Ford store.☺
Side note: Did ya' notice that the service manual for these trucks calls for inspecting and repacking/adjusting the wheel bearings every 20K miles? Who in the world messes with wheel bearings every 20K milest? Dodge death wobble victims...that's who!

Last edited by shak; 11-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Quite a few things to correct there, Shak, so let us help you out.

First, Dodge did not build the front ends on these trucks, just assembled them. Ever heard of Dana? Well, Dana/Spicer is the OEM of our front parts from ball joints to tie rods to axles. So by putting on Moog, you just down graded as Moog is no longer the great company it used to be. And guess what? Timken is also the OEM of the front bearing hubs on 2nd gen Rams. Borg Warner? No one recommends their sensors for our trucks as the much better NTK (NGK) is the OEM. Only part of my drivetrain Dodge built was the engine and it has been amazing.

Like me, you have spent money in all the wrong places already. What's left? You said it yourself, the steering box. That should have been the first thing I did and you'll be kicking yourself once you do. Perhaps you haven't owned your truck when it steered perfectly but I have. It drove on rails for several years until the track bar replacement I bought was screwed up by a shop. What bothered me was that I KNEW it can drive perfectly but took me years to figure out the fix. And it was a new steering gear. But be prepared to not give up. I had to install 2 Redheads since the first was bad.

It I were new to these trucks and they didn't steer right, I would start with a new box and track bar then consider other parts. BTW, my all Moog T steering was a huge waste of money and didn't solve any issues but created them, my fancy Spohn steering Brace did nothing and it's now on a shelf in the garage, and my Napa pump is a leaking piece of whiny crap. Only thing that was worth it was a Thuren track bar back in 09 and the Redhead.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Quite a few things to correct there, Shak, so let us help you out.

First, Dodge did not build the front ends on these trucks, just assembled them. Ever heard of Dana? Well, Dana/Spicer is the OEM of our front parts from ball joints to tie rods to axles. So by putting on Moog, you just down graded as Moog is no longer the great company it used to be. And guess what? Timken is also the OEM of the front bearing hubs on 2nd gen Rams. Borg Warner? No one recommends their sensors for our trucks as the much better NTK (NGK) is the OEM. Only part of my drivetrain Dodge built was the engine and it has been amazing.

Like me, you have spent money in all the wrong places already. What's left? You said it yourself, the steering box. That should have been the first thing I did and you'll be kicking yourself once you do. Perhaps you haven't owned your truck when it steered perfectly but I have. It drove on rails for several years until the track bar replacement I bought was screwed up by a shop. What bothered me was that I KNEW it can drive perfectly but took me years to figure out the fix. And it was a new steering gear. But be prepared to not give up. I had to install 2 Redheads since the first was bad.

It I were new to these trucks and they didn't steer right, I would start with a new box and track bar then consider other parts. BTW, my all Moog T steering was a huge waste of money and didn't solve any issues but created them, my fancy Spohn steering Brace did nothing and it's now on a shelf in the garage, and my Napa pump is a leaking piece of whiny crap. Only thing that was worth it was a Thuren track bar back in 09 and the Redhead.
The T steering wasn't a very good design. Having the link from the pitman arm come down to the tie bar was a really bad plan. My steering has a nice dead spot because of that design, as the tie bar rolls, instead of turning the wheels. Changing it to a true crossover steering would be a pain, as then the drag link, and track bar would be different lengths, and that would make the steering pretty strange over bumps......

There are solutions, just haven't gotten up the gumption to actually go out and DO it.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Your T steering is still rolling over? Didn't you put on the washers that I showed you? That has cured mine and its nice and tight. Just have a whiny, leaky pump is all.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Your T steering is still rolling over? Didn't you put on the washers that I showed you? That has cured mine and its nice and tight. Just have a whiny, leaky pump is all.
Actually, I haven't done anything to it but drive it...... I have troubles getting up off the ground..... and just haven't been real motivated to work on it. It's annoying, but, that's about it.... if it was actually BROKE, I think I would be a bit more motivated to work on it.