2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Steering Slop... Kinda

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 06:30 PM
Custer
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removing Steering Slop... Kinda

My truck:
'97 4WD 5.9L AT Ram 1500 with 113K miles.

There's some frustrating "play" in the steering wheel. Before going through the whole front end I thought I'd give this product a try - Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering. I ordered the kit and the communication and shipping experience was perfect. Unfortunately I must have bigger issues as this didn't remove the "play", however, I do notice a slight improvement. At the end of this post I have embedded an "after" video. I screwed up and didn't hit record for the before like I intended...Sorry.

I performed the install on the truck in under an hour (It took longer to post this thread). I thought I would share my results and approach to the "rebuild". I followed the instructions, so there's nothing new here, but who doesn't like a nice pic tutorial?

Step one.

Here's your work area. Grab a 1/2" socket and remove the bolt. You may want to squirt some WD-40 on everything.

Pull the steering shaft off and out of the way and install the hose clamp as instructed (I'm not really sure you need this for the on the truck install, but I did it anyway).

I cut the spring (it was easier than getting down to the retainer washer) with my Dremel. If you have the Flex Shaft...Bonus!

"Boing".

I unscrewed the spring over the retainer washer to expose it.

Carnage.

I used a large screw driver to pry the metal cup away.

Then a small pair of channel locks and wiggled it back and forth.

Then I pulled it off by hand.

Here's what it looks like once you remove all the OEM stuff.

I cleaned the shaft with carb cleaner and a rag. The new bushing slid right on without a snag.

I took it a few taps at a time, installed the steering shaft and went for a drive.

I removed the steering shaft and tapped the new bushing in as far as it could go (for my taste) and installed the clamp retainer.

Here's the "after" video. Like I said, I notice a slight improvement, but I need to keep trouble shooting my issue.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Most of your steering slop is probably in the box itself. They are notorious for that kind of thing. You can try doing the adjustments on the box, (there are two.) and see if that helps. If not, likely just need to replace it. Adjustment procedure is in the service manual.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:00 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

That thing is just for the 'clunk' in the steering which is so faint and isn't related to steering slop. But it doesn't matter for me as Dodge must've changed the design in 98 because on my 99 there is absolutely no way I can even see much less get a hand near the spring on the column!

Is it slop/looseness or wandering?
Slop is in the track bar or steering box. Get a new track bar first and check alignment. If still there, replace box.

If it wanders, that's not slop, but is from bad alignment or worn ball joints/ tie rods.

My Redhead removed any and all slop but it was a pain since I got a dud and it took three trips and two installs. Been working fine now for over a year.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Most of your steering slop is probably in the box itself. They are notorious for that kind of thing. You can try doing the adjustments on the box, (there are two.) and see if that helps. If not, likely just need to replace it. Adjustment procedure is in the service manual.
Thanks for the tip. That's next.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:07 AM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by Ramman18
That thing is just for the 'clunk' in the steering which is so faint and isn't related to steering slop.
They boast that it will remove play in addition to the cluck. It was worth a shot.
Is it slop/looseness or wandering?
Slop...No wandering.
My Redhead removed any and all slop but it was a pain since I got a dud and it took three trips and two installs. Been working fine now for over a year.
I take it this is a replacement steering box? I'll look it up...Thanks.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:19 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Where are you, Custer? (I'm in Snohomish county)

Redhead is in Auburn by Seatac. They rebuild "high-end" steering boxes. Only a couple companies worth buying and their's are about the best. Of course, my story wasn't so Cinderella-esque but here ya go:

https://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

Old 10-30-2017, 12:29 AM
Custer
Professional

Where are you, Custer? (I'm in Snohomish county)
I'm in the Tri-Cities.

Can you buy a built box and send in a core? What kind of price are we talking about?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Ha, I spent 9 years there, both Kennewick and Richland. Good times and lots of memories.

Anyway, yes, core charge deal like everything. It's on their website and they send it UPS to your door.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Custer
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You can try doing the adjustments on the box, (there are two.) and see if that helps. If not, likely just need to replace it. Adjustment procedure is in the service manual.
I just read (not in the SM) that it's not advised to adjust the box.

Old 10-30-2017, 05:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Custer
I just read (not in the SM) that it's not advised to adjust the box.
Why not? If done properly, it may actually solve the issue, or at least, reduce it significantly. I do these on a fairly regular basis. (ok, not lately, but, I used to......) Never had a problem. Sometimes it didn't work as well as I would have liked, but, next step is to replace the box. Adjusting it is free. Replacing it is not.