2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why Haven't We Established A Performance Mod Order/Proven Combos List For Our Motors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

My 96 2500 also had 265's, with 3.55 gears. After doing a boatload of maintenance, (plenum fix, timing chain and gears, tune-up, etc.) I actually like the way it drove. I had no problems climbing hills. My 98 has 4.56 and 33's. It is just too much gear for the tires. I really don't need to my engine to be at peak torque when I am just cruising. If I need a bit more power, I can just step on the gas a bit harder.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:15 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I do run 80mph on the freeway every time I'm on it, so I'm not going with steeper gears. No way, no how.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:16 PM
5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W
What do you think of these? I'm sure the quality isn't awesome, but I don't need anything too fancy. I just bought them. It's fulfilled by amazon so if they look ****ty, I'll just return them. Couldn't say no for that price! Also bought stage 8 locking header bolts and a remflex gasket since I assume the fasteners and gaskets supplied will be garbage.

https://www.amazon.com/Mophorn-Exhau...70_&dpSrc=srch

Ok, so I actually have a new, fun thought experiment here.

What sort of gains, would you all expect to see if I did these modifications instead of what's listed above?

DIY Ported stock heads (Again, just using mopar porting template and gasket matching)
DIY gasket matched kegger (and maybe keggar mod)
Short headers
and Stock cam...

I realize this isn't going to get me anywhere near my 50hp goal listed above, but it could be a cool stepping stone for a very low financial investment. By far and away by biggest expenses are the cam and supporting mods. If I just pull the heads off, port them myself and put it back together with some headers...that might give me enough of a boost that I'd be happy for a while and wouldn't cost very much at all. I'd still throw on the double roller and re-time it since the stock one is likely stretched.

I'm pretty down to do the cam, but if I could pull 20-30 horse out of the motor for a couple hundred bucks on this setup or 50 out of it for over a grand...I might be tempted to cheap out here. I don't NEED the power.....I just want it.

One last question. Is it possible that I would need to wait for the PCM to adapt before feeling a performance advantage when using superchips? I never felt anything when I changed the tunes, but I read someone else talking about how it got a lot better after the computer was able to re-learn. If that's the case, would it be optimal to disconnect the battery for a while, then load the tune and go from there?
Those will be a pin to put your header bolt into. Plus you need to check t see if the flange blocks the spark plug channels in the head. My fange did in fact block the channels, and I had to remove my headers just to put plugs in. Also, i cant remember where I found the stats at but the e-3 plugs added about 10ft.lbs of torque dyno proven.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:21 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Those will be a pin to put your header bolt into. Plus you need to check t see if the flange blocks the spark plug channels in the head. My fange did in fact block the channels, and I had to remove my headers just to put plugs in. Also, i cant remember where I found the stats at but the e-3 plugs added about 10ft.lbs of torque dyno proven.
I am using all new fasteners (stage 8 locking bolts) and I expect to have to grind down the flange a little between the tubes to keep my spark plug protective sleeves. I saw that another guy had to do it with a similar header, so I'm not real worried about having to clearance them a little.

Yeah...not buying it with the E3 plugs. A good plug is a good plug, they aren't special. I just bought a fresh set of NGK's to put in it. I bought a few extra so I can give Indexing a try. We will see how it goes.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Could always just lose the sleeves..... the only thing they are really good at is collecting dirt and crap, and hanging on to it till you pull the plugs, then it drops it into the cylinders..... Not really a good plan so far as I am concerned. Lots of folks just pull 'em, and leave it at that.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:58 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Pull them! Get a decent set of 8mm wires with ceramic boots.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:41 PM
cruzer55
Veteran

The answer to your question ,Why haven't we Established a Performance MOD order/ combo list for 5.9& 5.2 Magnum ? It was, started in 1994 Just for Ram and Dakota trucks.Dealer along with a few vendors started making parts for the motors and more goodies, K&N drop in air filters.Along with cam -lifter-spring combos.Gear changes Various short and longblock performance motors transmissions and parts.Along with many how to books from MOPAR nurds, to make you go so fast,many ticket with big smile, for it did it so easy!!!! How too's and Don't do it.I have more to share but now food.L8TR......................

Old 11-20-2017, 06:06 AM
5.9_MAGNUM_POWER
Rookie

The difficulty of putting the headers in doesnt come from the types of fasteners, It comes from the tube design. A lot of times the tubes bend so close to the flange that they make it nearly impossible to put the header bolts into. It’s so close that you can’t get a socket with either an Allen key or hex head in there to either put the bolts in or take them out. I had to cut down an Allen key and use it that way to remove the bolts.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:17 AM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It currently has an aftermarket tune Marty sent that he said was for safe use for testing until I find the issue.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:20 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
It currently has an aftermarket tune Marty sent that he said was for safe use for testing until I find the issue.
Wrong thread?