2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How much of the old cork gasket do you REALLY have to get off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 02:47 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can hit the underside of the transmission with brake cleaner to pick up any dust.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:33 PM
rayaa3
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wrapped the internals in foil and spun the drill away from the transmission. It wasn't nearly as easy or effective as the pan. That cork was really in there.

the filter had a Chrysler Pentagon stamped in it. I'm goin to hope that means it has a mopar filter change, not original filter. It was a Filtran filter (never heard of it)

About 1/4 cup of grey/black goop on the magnet but not chunks of anything.

The fluid didn't look terrible. Red, dark red, but still red. No odor to mention.

Now too figure out how much goes in.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Start with four quarts, some have put in as much as 6......

Old 11-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Gary-L
Legend

Did you adjust the bands while you were in there? They should always be adjusted when the fluid and filter are changed.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:15 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Yes. Had fun with the front band. T40 ratchet bit was too deep to get in there with torque wrench capable of 72in lbs...as it would have required 3/8 to 1/4 adapter... So used a screw driver t40 bit and a hex ratchet bit, and just made it in there with the small torque wrench... lots in the way.

reverse band was easy by any comparison.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 PM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

razor blade is the fastest and most dangerous way to do it. angle die grinder with fiber pad would be my next step if i couldn't get it with that. took many years to master the blade without gouging something... key is to not fight it and take small pieces when the easy stuff is gone. plus holding the blade at the correct angle. also, dont use the scraper handles, just the blade and your bare hand. more than enough if you're doing it right. just don't have the feel using a handle.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:02 AM
rayaa3
Professional

I experimented with a razor blade, it was slow going to use it and not be sloppy.

The bronze bore brush on my cordless drill run at high speed helped with the pan quite a bit. I have several calibers from a cleaning kit which I'll never use (.410 isn't all that common but it's in every kit I've ever owned)

the transmission side was harder. However, 7 quarts in now and no leaks on the rubber gasket that came with the filter. No sealant of any kind used... just a finger smear of trans fluid on the gasket, and tightened bolts to 13-15lbs(can't remember, but it was specified with the kit). Time will tell but so far so good. No stains in the driveway make Ray a happy boy.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rayaa3
I experimented with a razor blade, it was slow going to use it and not be sloppy.

The bronze bore brush on my cordless drill run at high speed helped with the pan quite a bit. I have several calibers from a cleaning kit which I'll never use (.410 isn't all that common but it's in every kit I've ever owned)

the transmission side was harder. However, 7 quarts in now and no leaks on the rubber gasket that came with the filter. No sealant of any kind used... just a finger smear of trans fluid on the gasket, and tightened bolts to 13-15lbs(can't remember, but it was specified with the kit). Time will tell but so far so good. No stains in the driveway make Ray a happy boy.
If you change the fluid & filter and adjust the bands per the manufacturer's instructions, you're good to go for many years.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:55 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Glad you got it resolved. First time I pulled the pan, I used a steel wire brush on a drill to clean the surfaces. I did just enough and didn't go crazy.
I changed the filters (2 for the 545RFE) and smeared black Permatex on the new rubber gasket, just to be safe. Most importantly, I drilled a half inch hole in the pan and installed an aftermarket drain plug. Now I just drain via the plug every 20-25K.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:22 AM
rayaa3
Professional

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Glad you got it resolved. First time I pulled the pan, I used a steel wire brush on a drill to clean the surfaces. I did just enough and didn't go crazy.
I changed the filters (2 for the 545RFE) and smeared black Permatex on the new rubber gasket, just to be safe. Most importantly, I drilled a half inch hole in the pan and installed an aftermarket drain plug. Now I just drain via the plug every 20-25K.

The drain plug seems like a great idea...even if you are planning on a full drain and filter every 25K, it could make it a lot easier to avoid the mess. I went to great lengths to avoid trans fluid on the floor...still got some.

Maybe in 2-3 years when I drop it again.