2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 5.9 360 issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Jmikk
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 5.9 360 issues

Hey everyone, I’m picking up a 2001 ram 1500 on 2500 axles and suspension 5.9 360. It won’t idle, runs perfect with your foot holding it at 1k. I know the idle control valve can jam and truck won’t get air but it moves so that’s out of the question. Could it be battery and alternator? The alternator squeals and might be siezing up and the battery went dead after a light was left on, what do y’all think?

Old 11-24-2017, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

The bore the IAC valve goes in tends to be a nice place for crap to build up, so, the IAC actually closes off the passage a LOT sooner than the PCM expects.... so, bad idle. Also, aftermarket IAC valves tend not to react as quickly as the stock mopar piece, and are a major contributor to unstable/inability to idle. Low fuel pressure can do it to....... or any of a number of other things.

Welcome to DF!

Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The bore the IAC valve goes in tends to be a nice place for crap to build up, so, the IAC actually closes off the passage a LOT sooner than the PCM expects.... so, bad idle. Also, aftermarket IAC valves tend not to react as quickly as the stock mopar piece, and are a major contributor to unstable/inability to idle. Low fuel pressure can do it to....... or any of a number of other things.

Welcome to DF!
interesting, I’ll replace it anyway! Thanks for the welcome!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Clean it good when you replace it, and get the new one from the dealer. (or, wherever you can get a genuine OEM part.) Let us know how it goes. Be sure to leave the battery disconnected while you are in there. (resets the PCM.)

Old 11-24-2017, 11:29 PM
Jmikk
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Clean it good when you replace it, and get the new one from the dealer. (or, wherever you can get a genuine OEM part.) Let us know how it goes. Be sure to leave the battery disconnected while you are in there. (resets the PCM.)
i will definitely let you know, I’ll be back here my other issues and questions as well, the quick response was fantastic!