2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque Converter Guidance please

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 AM
Brandan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque Converter Guidance please

Briefing- 01 ram 1500 4x4 5.9 V8 automatic, 167,000 miles on it. Before purchasing I was told the transmission needed a new torque converter. The truck starts and itles fine, no codes at all. The trucks previous owner pulled the tranny and replaced with a tranny from a 01 ram 1500 sport.

Symptoms- when I first got the truck I was able to put it in gear and drive 20ft then reversed it 20ft...(the truck was needing some new tires) no problem. Got the new tires on, put the baby in revere got about 30ft put her in drive and no engagement at all. The truck just revs, nothing else.

The goods- when I purchased the truck ($600) the old 46re was in the bed, he said he replaced all the seals, and solenoids. But knowing the torque converter may be bad the tranny might need a rebuild.

All in all I’m just seeking guidance please

Last edited by Brandan; 11-27-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-27-2017, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Open the hood, pull the cover off the PDC, find the transmission control relay. Pull it out. Go for a drive. Keep in mind, your trans will have ZERO automatic function. You will have to start out in first, and upshift/downshift when appropriate. There will be no overdrive, or torque convert clutch engagement. The PCM WILL set codes whining about it. (not a bid deal.) If the truck shifts into the gear you tell it to, when you tell it to, and drives ok, then you just have an electronics problem. If it doesn't, it's rebuild time.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Brandan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I will try this tonight. My only question is do I pull the relay, put the truck in reverse (just the way the truck sits I have to reverse out of my driveway), if only the truck revs then it’s time for a new torque converter or you saying whole transmission will need a rebuild. Because the guy put the doner tranny in with the old torque converter and had the same issue im having but he threw in the towel and sold it to me.

Old 11-27-2017, 12:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

If you have a trashed torque converter, then the rest of the trans is trash as well, or very soon will be, as all the crap from the converter gets circulated thru the trans......

Old 11-27-2017, 07:48 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts