2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,275 Likes on 3,022 Posts

Originally Posted by chromed95
Correct! South of spokane. Man you guys are very generous offering to help if you were closer. By tight you mean tough to turn the wheel?

Dang those look gnarly. Little too rich for my blood though and too fancy of parts for my truck lol
Control arms won't make your steering any stiffer, they will, however, remove some of the slop you are getting from worn bushings.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:53 PM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a way to tell for sure what could be wrong on the front end where my steering wheel is a bit loose? It's not horrible and not the bad dangerous "death wobble" I've seen on youtube(THIS would be scary as hell if it happened to me....yikes....
) but I was wondering if the cheapish Rock Solid Ram fix would help, any of you guys have any experience with it or anybody that installed it? I'm sure I either need that or probably a new steering box considering my trucks miles and age, my steering wheel itself is a bit loose to the left and right, and it seems like it takes a bit of me turning the wheel before the wheels actually move if that makes sense, makes going into tight parking spaces a chore.

If nobody has ever heard of the rock solid ram fix it apparently fixes a badly designed bushing in the steering shaft itself. I know front end stuff can get expensive and I've never dug into a vehicle this deep before, but what would be the most dramatic and best "bang for buck" I could do? Really the steering box itself? Link to the rock solid fix if anybody cares,

Old 11-28-2017, 12:34 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 320 Likes on 302 Posts

I suspect your issue with the steering is with the gearbox. You can try adjusting it first. There is a nut and screw on the top of the steering gearbox. Loosen the nut and turn the screw until you feel it start to lightly engage with the worm gear within the box, then tighten the lock nut while holding the screw in-place. That should take some slop out of the steering left to right. If the steering feel still isn't as precise as you'd like, I'd suggest replacing the steering gearbox with a RedHead or Borgeson unit.

I did not encounter any slop in my steering shaft that's addressed by the Rock Solid fix, so I can't speak to that, but there are others here who have.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:37 AM
WhiteSnake91
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I'll try that, I didn't know you could even adjust em, when I was doing the oil before I saw at least one brand new ball joint on each front wheel so I don't think mine are worn out, gotta be something with the steering box that makes mine have all that slop, I've gotten somewhat used to it in the 7 months I've owned the truck but any improvement would be much appreciated

Old 11-28-2017, 03:12 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, tight to steer. There's no play at all but its stiff or strong to turn. They said that's how they build them with oversize bearings, etc. Like I said, so far so good after 1 year and it lightened up a tad after a while. Still not as smooth as the stocker was. I test drove a new Ram last winter and it steered about the same.

Is it worth it? Yes. Am I happy? Meh. Besides, I had to do the install twice since the first one was a dud. But it's just about the best option out there.

What's your budget for the CA? I don't think my Skyjacker's were more than $150 back then. Look for scratch and dent stuff on skyjacker.com. Got my M95s for half price!

And whitesnake, you hijacked. Start your own thread please.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:17 AM
chromed95
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Control arms won't make your steering any stiffer, they will, however, remove some of the slop you are getting from worn bushings.
Do you suppose that if the bushings are wore out say for example on one side (or both sides), wouldn't that allow the axle to be off center on the one side and move the axle forwards and backwards causing me to chase some steering? Maybe that's a stretch. But regardless you're probably right, it won't help but at least they'd be new and potentially make the clunking go away.

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Yes, tight to steer. There's no play at all but its stiff or strong to turn. They said that's how they build them with oversize bearings, etc. Like I said, so far so good after 1 year and it lightened up a tad after a while. Still not as smooth as the stocker was. I test drove a new Ram last winter and it steered about the same.

Is it worth it? Yes. Am I happy? Meh. Besides, I had to do the install twice since the first one was a dud. But it's just about the best option out there.

What's your budget for the CA? I don't think my Skyjacker's were more than $150 back then. Look for scratch and dent stuff on skyjacker.com. Got my M95s for half price!

And whitesnake, you hijacked. Start your own thread please.
Looking on rock auto it looks like I can get stock ones for about $150. I might be able to get them cheaper through my work. I haven't really considered aftermarket stuff too much, but maybe I should give them a chance if they're not $200+ like the links above that someone posted.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Why not do this and be done? $80 for the pair.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...model/ram-2500