2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Did I Buy a bad PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

VIN doesn't matter for actually running the engine. It just gets annoyed, and the ABS, and SRS are disabled. Sounds like a another bad PCM.... local junkyard have any more?

I don't know if the offer discounts to members or not. I wouldn't be real heavily on it though......

Old 01-05-2018, 11:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I never said it wasn't I just said I wouldn't think it. USUALLY when cluster loses communication it says no bus in the digital part of the instrument cluster. Maybe a bad wire? I had the same thing (exactly the same even with different pcms) turned it to be burnt wires behind the plastic part of the day that is behind the gauges. This is all in a perfect world lol. I would try a junkyard. My local one will let you try it before you buy it (mine is a u pull it cheaper that way) so I would tow the vehicle there if possible. The site a guy on here used he sent his pcm to them they fixed it sent it back (took 5 days he even did it on a weekend) got it back it worked fine he got a 3 year warranty for 136.98 with shipping.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:01 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent my old (bad) pcm in and got another one from Solo Auto. great experience and the New PCm worked great! I'd recommend them for sure.
My truck is an 01' 1500 4x

Old 01-12-2018, 05:58 AM
BlackBettyDodge

Yeah, my bad on mismanaging text tone. Forum troubleshooting can appear like shotgun reasoning. I am confident its a PCM. I was referred to ECMExchange, they want $275. Most other places are asking $200 roughly. JLake guy just referenced this Solo Auto, their website claim to be a nationwide leader, blah, blah, but yet their Facebook page has 200 likes, only reviews are by Social Media managers and hasn't been updated since 2015, seems like a fishy company. I guess I'm looking for guidance to a real reputable company, not some place in Miami that is headquarted in a strip mall.....

Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you look around the web, you will find horrid reviews on almost every ECM company out there.... After all, they aren't selling new ones, these are 'rebuilt' units. If you look at the BBB website, you will find that even some of the 'worst offenders', based on internet reviews, have a reasonable rating at the BBB..... I was kinda surprised by that as well... But, when you figger that folks that have a bad experience are FAR more likely to post a review, than folks that have a good experience...... it sorta makes sense.

As for pricing.... Yep, the 'reputable' companies are going to be more expensive. But, as in all things, you get what you pay for..... For myself, I will happily pay more for a product from a company that has good customer service, and actually stands behind their product. Is that 75 dollar price difference really going to make a difference if you end up having to swap it out three times to get one that actually works????

You might get lucky, and they may get it right the first try.... Life is Risk.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:54 AM
jlake4130
Professional

Originally Posted by BlackBettyDodge
Yeah, my bad on mismanaging text tone. Forum troubleshooting can appear like shotgun reasoning. I am confident its a PCM. I was referred to ECMExchange, they want $275. Most other places are asking $200 roughly. JLake guy just referenced this Solo Auto, their website claim to be a nationwide leader, blah, blah, but yet their Facebook page has 200 likes, only reviews are by Social Media managers and hasn't been updated since 2015, seems like a fishy company. I guess I'm looking for guidance to a real reputable company, not some place in Miami that is headquarted in a strip mall.....
Dont quote me but i believe i was referred to solo from Hemifever or one of the more popular dodge tuner guys. Its been a while so i dont remember. You can email hemifever and ask his opnion as he has lots of PCM experience!

Old 01-16-2018, 08:51 AM
hemifever
SPONSOR

yea solopcms.com is a good source for pcm's. I've referred folks to them for 10 years probably. They VIN flash and have a warranty

Old 01-28-2018, 08:31 PM
BlackBettyDodge

So.....as the video shows, I'm fairly certain I got a bad one in, after it taking 2 weeks to receive. I'm not sure what those guys are going to do. I kept calling the week of 16th-19th and the girl answering the phone was telling me it was moving along through the process. When I called Monday the 22nd, guy answers the phone and said they were shut down due to the snow weather and only three people were working. I was aggravated the girl didn't explain that part and just BS'd me.

If you cant watch the video. New PCM from Car Computer Exchange, whom are a forum sponsor, it works, runs and drives and everything. Just nothing works in the instrument cluster. No fuel, rpm, oil press, voltage, nothing. But when I Plug in the Junkyard PCM again, it all works. Just the engine shuts down due to security and VIN not matching. SO.....hope and a prayer that they tell me to return theirs and they will send another? I'm not sure.....Just an update

Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, likely a bad pcm with a slightly different problem. Should warranty swap without issue.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:36 PM
BlackBettyDodge

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, likely a bad pcm with a slightly different problem. Should warranty swap without issue.
I haven't even mailed in the old core yet. I just received it yesterday and wanted to see how it would perform. Ugh. Just frustrated. Waited 2 weeks to get one in that I now got to send right back. 😠

Quick Reply: Did I Buy a bad PCM?