2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Finally after a few years I got to the plenum repleament.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I worked on the truck some today. I got the timing chain changed and the gasket cleaned off the block and cover. I have the cover soaking in cleaner to get all the oil and grease off of it. I also took the exhaust manifolds off to install the long tubes but did brake one of the studs in the pass side its broke even with the head. Anyone have any advice on getting it out without removing the head? On the driver side all the bolts came out one stud came out but the other the nut came off leaving the stud in. What would be the best way to remove that?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:06 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I've seen tricks where you weld a nut on the face of the broken bolt shaft and then remove it. There's all kinds of vids on youtube about broken bolts and such. The hemis have a bad rep for this exact issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:14 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

quickest and easiest way to clean the timing cover is to spray it with oven cleaner. let it sit for about 20 minutes and then wash it off. will come out super clean. this trick also works for head, intakes or anything that is covered in oil, grease or carbon.

as far as the broken bolt goes there is a couple ways to go after it but it really depends on your tools. welding a washer onto the bolt and then welding a nut to the washer works sometimes. if you don't have a welder you can just go straight for drilling the bolt out as large as you can without hitting thread and then using an extractor. if that don't work keep drilling till it is close enough to the right size and re-tap the hole

Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on getting mine done in spring. Gotta put a motor in my jeep first though-meed wheels while it's torn down. I will be taking care of the plenum, replacing the timing chain-double roller-and cover, water pump, and oil pan gasket while I'm in there. And of course, whatever else I find while doing the work. Starting at the back on the top, ending up at the back on the bottom. In the meantime I battle varios vac leaks, no heat issues, vibrations, broken dash yadda yadda yadda....... Just replaced cap wires and rotor due to a misfire issue, and did the cheap O2 sensor trick to negate the cat inefficient light.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
I've seen tricks where you weld a nut on the face of the broken bolt shaft and then remove it. There's all kinds of vids on youtube about broken bolts and such. The hemis have a bad rep for this exact issue.
Place a washer over the flush broken stud. Weld through washer to stud. Weld bolt to washer. Let it go cold. Heat the manifold with oxy/acet until you get a nice glow, burp broken stud out with impact gun. Tap/clean hole, insert new stud. If you don't have access to a welder, find a muffler shop with an old phart like myself working there, usually 20 bucks will get it done. I have literally pulled thousands of broken studs out of manifolds. Got rather proficient at it over 15 years in the exhaust business...
Yes, I have a welder, oxy/acet torches, so I still do this stuff for myself or friends.

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 01-23-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:35 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I got the broken bolt out of the head. I'm going to get the other stud out tomorrow which I'm hoping come out. I'm also hoping to get the timing cover and intake back on. When installing the gaskets in the timing cover should I use anything on the gaskets? Spray tack or rtv or anything? Same goes for the intake?

Old 01-27-2018, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Thin layer of rtv around the coolant passages on the timing cover, and intake. Should be all you need.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:28 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Finally got the engine fired up tonight. I got the long tubes on what a pain. And boy was it loud off the headers. just need to get it filled with coolant and burped. I'm also in the process of making mounts for my efan. But need to find a good fan controller with a threaded probe. I took the plate off my old intake to see how bad the leak was and it was missing about 3 inches of the gasket. So I'm hoping this fixes my oil loss.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:41 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Check out Dakota Digital for a fan controller.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:56 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

I worked on the efan mound today. I used a solid sheet of aluminum and cut it out with a nibbler. Turned out pretty well.

Attached Thumbnails Finally after a few years I got to the plenum repleament.-img_1658.jpg   Finally after a few years I got to the plenum repleament.-img_1659.jpg   Finally after a few years I got to the plenum repleament.-img_1660.jpg  

Quick Reply: Finally after a few years I got to the plenum repleament.