Odd Problems - DodgeForum.com

Notices
2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd Problems

Reply

 
 
  #1  
Old 01-21-2018, 02:20 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 493
Default Odd Problems

01 Ram 2500 4x4 360
1st Problem: I'm loosing coolant. It's not burning it and it's not leaking I have no clue where it is going.
2nd Problem: drivers door seal is bad but I can't find a replacement only universal seals with different sizes.
3rd Problem: This problem had me check the coolant (usually do). I had to go to a place where it got really cold (-25). While idling the heat is great but when the truck is moving it overcools and the heat turn lukewarm. So I checked the antifreeze and I had to add a gallon of water and Antifreeze. I know it doesn't leak as I looked at the motor and it was parked in snow and there were no puddles. It's so cool that after driving for 1 hour (after I added to the cooling system) the cap isn't even hot.
4th problem: it was windy and I was doing 65 and the truck acted like it was 100lbs and wandered so bad on the road I got pulled over because the trooper thought I was intoxicated I have all new front end components and am going to get it aligned here.
​Any help here guys?
 
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,577
Default

1. Coolant is going in oil, getting burned, or leaking. I suspect the latter as it can easily leak high and burn off before it drips. Get a leak tester kit.
2. Seals are sold at LMC
3. Sounds normal for that cold of weather
4. All new components don't do anything if the box is worn out. Get a Redhead
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:13 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
1. Coolant is going in oil, getting burned, or leaking. I suspect the latter as it can easily leak high and burn off before it drips. Get a leak tester kit.
2. Seals are sold at LMC
3. Sounds normal for that cold of weather
4. All new components don't do anything if the box is worn out. Get a Redhead
1. Where do you get the leak tester kit?
2. Thanks I forget about that site all the time
3. Looks like I'll use the cardboard trick.
4. Have a Redhead (2 one) I also have hydroboost if that makes a difference
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2018, 10:16 AM
HeyYou's Avatar
HeyYou
HeyYou is offline
Super Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clayton MI
Posts: 48,394
Default

Most parts stores should have the kit.

Hydroboost won't affect steering slop, just steering effort. (and gives you more room in the engine compartment..... )
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 PM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,577
Default

1. Yeah, you can rent a radiator leak tester at any parts stores.
2. I replaced my weatherstripping last year and I may have used rockauto actually. Can't remember. Both carry the real stuff.
3. Found a coolant leak last Nov. that was bothering me for a year and a half. It was the heater tube seal and it burned off before getting past the crank. Very hard to see. If you have bad heat it could be a blocked and leaking heater core. But that cold of weather, any vehicle needs cardboard in front. I use home-made winterfront due to my 180 stat below 50 degrees!
4. Check your alignment (strings and tape measures) and have someone rock the wheel while you closely inspect all parts underneath. I put on a Redhead and new T steering and there's NO play in my truck. Very precise. Also do my own alignments.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:59 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Most parts stores should have the kit.

Hydroboost won't affect steering slop, just steering effort. (and gives you more room in the engine compartment..... )
I'm buying one from Harbor freight hate renting told are tether are usually Beat up. I just figured I'd mention the hydro just in case
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2018, 04:01 AM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
1. Yeah, you can rent a radiator leak tester at any parts stores.
2. I replaced my weatherstripping last year and I may have used rockauto actually. Can't remember. Both carry the real stuff.
3. Found a coolant leak last Nov. that was bothering me for a year and a half. It was the heater tube seal and it burned off before getting past the crank. Very hard to see. If you have bad heat it could be a blocked and leaking heater core. But that cold of weather, any vehicle needs cardboard in front. I use home-made winterfront due to my 180 stat below 50 degrees!
4. Check your alignment (strings and tape measures) and have someone rock the wheel while you closely inspect all parts underneath. I put on a Redhead and new T steering and there's NO play in my truck. Very precise. Also do my own alignments.
1. Buying one at Harbor Freight
2. Rockauto was no luck I checked their first.
3. It isn't the heater core I know that 100% I may put dye in the coolant and check that way
4. Going to get it aligned at a shop. I did do the steering test and everything was tight even the steering shaft. I don't have sway bars but the wind pushed this truck like it was nothing, just amazed me.
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Ramman18's Avatar
Ramman18
Ramman18 is offline
Record Breaker
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,577
Default

Where'd the sway bar go?

Wind can definitely push me around but it doesn't make me lose control of my steering. How're the ball joints?
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:52 PM
MoparFanatic21
MoparFanatic21 is online now
Veteran
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 493
Default

Originally Posted by Ramman18 View Post
Where'd the sway bar go?

Wind can definitely push me around but it doesn't make me lose control of my steering. How're the ball joints?
Took out the sway bar for more flex and ordered an off road sway bar. Ball joints are Grand new Carli ball joints
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Middian
Dodge Caravan
1
04-15-2010 09:00 PM
jfw435
Dodge Caravan
4
10-13-2009 01:26 PM
noodle
1st Gen Dakota
6
02-16-2008 11:26 PM
Hatchetman
Dodge Dakota
0
11-28-2007 08:00 PM
92DakotaLE
1st Gen Dakota
4
07-11-2007 12:05 AM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: