2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Chewed up ground strap

Old 01-29-2018, 07:07 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not really sure about that spark plug choice as I thought that the platinum plugs were for those exotic ignition systems, hope someone can come back that one. I would suggest Autolites. I recently changed plug wires and found that the MSD had the least amount of resistance by far. Not if all rodents are alike but I have noticed that they like the red colored ones in my area, so I covered them with black split loom wire shroud. You are looking for a 50-55 p.s.i. steady reading for that fuel pump pressure. My V10 seems to run fine with 87 octane as that is what the owners manual suggests, although I do have California emissions. My V10 does run pretty cool and so I have the oem spec 195 degree thermostat. On mine there is no egr valve, but an orifice, I think it is called. As the engine has a few miles on it, I drilled a 3/4" hole in the filler cap and installed a breather as the orifice hole is pretty small.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

These trucks were designed for copper plugs, and using the rare-earth fellers is really hit and miss. Some folks don't have an issue, others get 'mystery misfires' that go away when changing back to copper plugs.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:36 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
2 more quarts of oil. (takes 7)

Gotta be careful on fuel pumps. The 'great price' may not seem so great when you get to replace it again in a few months. Air-Tec are famous for that......
One more than me, when I changed it last week, it took 6 to get to the full mark. 5.9. DaugHters car takes 4, wife's pathfinder takes 5, my dodge and jeep take 6(and happily, use the same filter-of which I have several)

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 01-30-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 AM
killerride

2 more quarts of oil. (takes 7) I drive trucks not carsand my daily now is the Ford Lightning motor I stuffed into my regular bodied F-150 It takes 6qts

Gotta be careful on fuel pumps. The 'great price' may not seem so great when you get to replace it again in a few months. Air-Tec are famous for that......
I heard about those pumps being bad. While it wasnt too difficult to install dont want to have to do it too frequently! I lifted the bed and it went pretty easy. What is a reliable name brand to use for future reference?
Originally Posted by Torxhead
Not really sure about that spark plug choice as I thought that the platinum plugs were for those exotic ignition systems, hope someone can come back that one. I would suggest Autolites. I recently changed plug wires and found that the MSD had the least amount of resistance by far. Not if all rodents are alike but I have noticed that they like the red colored ones in my area, so I covered them with black split loom wire shroud. You are looking for a 50-55 p.s.i. steady reading for that fuel pump pressure. My V10 seems to run fine with 87 octane as that is what the owners manual suggests, although I do have California emissions. My V10 does run pretty cool and so I have the oem spec 195 degree thermostat. On mine there is no egr valve, but an orifice, I think it is called. As the engine has a few miles on it, I drilled a 3/4" hole in the filler cap and installed a breather as the orifice hole is pretty small.
That is kind of what I thought with the spark plugs. I checked it out here on the forum before I bought and there was a high percentage of guys using the platinums. So i wasted $35!! God I hate that!! And I have to spend that again to correct the situation! Sheesh !! Copper core plugs are way more forgiving and can handle lower compression motors much better. I was wondering if I gapped the platinums wider if they might work better? I heard because of the platinums smaller tip and the brighter spark that you can run a wider gap to get a better burn? Currently gaped at stock .045 I think Ill try that and go to .055. But first Im gonna check the wires with my spark tester make sure the wires are working properly. They were a custom set from Borg warner but I dont trust any manufacturers anymore. I will also check my fuel pressure. I went ahead and ordered a new 180* Tstat, be here in a couple of days. I also looked for a EGR valve couldnt find it. Where is this orifice your talking about? Oh and I also live in Ca so yes understood about smog laws. Now I have 2 trucks to smog. Dont you just love this state? Its why I'm prepping this truck so I can move out of here!!!!

Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 AM
killerride

Oh, I just checked the gap on all the plugs. Guess what?? They all got smaller? I made sure all were gapped @ .045 and when I checked they had all shrank (except 1 was less) down by .005.HUH?? WTF?? Head scratcher for sure. Anyways I re-gapped them to .050 and truck ran much much better as far as power goes but still getting bad idle and P0300 code. Plugs all smelt like gas. Certainly an argument for the copper plugs. When I checked the gap on the old plugs with worn down back straps they were at .060 + Also I checked the wires and they checked out fine. And I am running 87 oct, thinking of trying some 91 just to check if it makes a difference

Last edited by killerride; 01-31-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Delphi, or Denso pumps. (don't recall which one is OEM.....)

Also curious how the quote got messed up there..... I don't even own a ford anything.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:58 AM
killerride

Delphi, or Denso pumps. (don't recall which one is OEM.....)

Also curious how the quote got messed up there..... I don't even own a ford anything.
Thanks for the pump brands keep that in memory for next time. Yea well before I got this truck, I never owned a Dodge either. I must say I do like it. Got to iron out the kinks but .... in defense of my Ford it has 410,000 mi on the chassis 480hp and 520 ft/lbs tq and is smog legal in Ca.It will smoke sports bikes from a dead stop while hauling 650lbs of tools with a 250 lb shell. Its an '01 also along with this truck I now own 2 '01's. I imagine this Ram truck will be pretty good at hauling just not as quick as my Lightning motored F-150

Last edited by killerride; 02-01-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

My first "car" was a 72 Dodge Challenger R/T with the 340, and pistol grip 4 speed. Wish I still had that one.....

My first transportation though, was a 71 Honda CB350.... two-cylinder. A vibrational weight loss instrument on wheels.

Old 01-31-2018, 02:58 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Killerride, my bad, I meant on the V10 there is not a pcv valve. In fact I have not even considered the egr valve. I will have to check that! My impression on the V10 is that it is pretty hard on spark plugs. For the first time I went 30k on the spark plugs before the recommended replacement and they were shot. So I would think no more than 25k next time. Could be the California gas also.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:58 PM
Rid-A-Rat
Former Vendor

Hello from Rid-A-Rat!
Are you having issues with rats chewing on your expensive wires?? We have a solution for that very problem. We have created a device which after being installed, will keep any kind of chewing critter out of your engine area. You simply read the directions and install!
The product is guaranteed money back with no questions asked! Why not give us a call- 480-488-6820 or check out our web page at Rid-A-Rat.com.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chewed up ground strap