2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 Fuel Rail

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Installing the nylon original stuff would be fun...... especially still on the truck.

Reason I asked for pics of the fuel line connection is, they are different over the years. So the rail I have sitting out in the barn, may not work for your fuel line. You seem to have the situation in hand though, so, watch it, see how it behaves. If it makes ya too nervous, I still have the fuel rail.....

Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Installing the nylon original stuff would be fun...... especially still on the truck.

Reason I asked for pics of the fuel line connection is, they are different over the years. So the rail I have sitting out in the barn, may not work for your fuel line. You seem to have the situation in hand though, so, watch it, see how it behaves. If it makes ya too nervous, I still have the fuel rail.....
If I do, do the nylon fuel hose, I will remove the fuel rail from the truck, that will make the job much simpler.
And thanks for the offer of the fuel rail, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by Ramchu; 02-01-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,372 Likes on 3,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramchu
If I do, do the nylon fuel hose, I will remove the fuel rail from the truck, that will make the job much simpler.
one would certainly hope.

I don't know how the stuff is put on at the factory.... if its heated to soften it up, and pressed on, pressed on cold I think would be rather difficult by hand...... crimped? Hhhmmm..... wonder if they make dies for the crimping tool that small..... (I've done plumbing with plastic pipe and crimp-seals, works awesome, is super easy, and is rated for much higher pressures than our fuel systems would ever see......)

Old 02-01-2018, 10:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the photos! Looks like a very nice repair job. You should be good for quite some time, as long as you used fuel injection style fuel hose.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 PM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Thanks for the photos! Looks like a very nice repair job. You should be good for quite some time, as long as you used fuel injection style fuel hose.
Yes, I used fuel Injection hose rated for 100 PSI (6.9 BAR) working pressure.
As I understand it the fuel injection system should be in the 50 PSI range give or take about 4 PSI...... so it could be 46 to 54 PSI.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:15 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

When I was a mechanic at a Dodge stealership what they did was removed the house used basically heat shrink with adhesive put that over the hole before getting it up. That was the fix and it was only $899 just some thought I have the technical term for the stuff written down.

Old 05-29-2018, 12:08 PM
alyvols
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue..

You should be able to replace the hose, but be careful. The fuel rails themselves are fairly light gauge metal and are easy to tweak. Just FYI, most other year 5.2/5.9 fuel rails will fit that motor just fine.
Tried replacing crossover hose, but no joy. I am thinking I just need to replace the rail. When you mention "most other year" - which should I go up to (would like as late as possible)?

My Truck:
1996 RAM 1500 Sport
5.9L
147,000 miles

Old 05-29-2018, 08:44 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by alyvols
Tried replacing crossover hose, but no joy. I am thinking I just need to replace the rail. When you mention "most other year" - which should I go up to (would like as late as possible)?

My Truck:
1996 RAM 1500 Sport
5.9L
147,000 miles
94 to 96 had the same connection, 97 was an odd ball piece of plastic that should be avoided at all costs, then 98 and newer took a different connection at the rail (IIRC).
If you go with the newer style, you will need the flex hose that goes from the hard line at the frame to the fuel rails.
Hope this jumble of info is helpful. Been driving all day and my thoughts aren't very coherent.

Old 01-18-2021, 04:38 PM
Craig Jacques
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel rails

You should be able to replace the hose, but be careful. The fuel rails themselves are fairly light gauge metal and are easy to tweak. Just FYI, most other year 5.2/5.9 fuel rails will fit that motor just fine.

what other years will fit on the 5.9 gas motor?

Old 01-18-2021, 05:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig Jacques
what other years will fit on the 5.9 gas motor?
Any except 97. But as stated you will need the flex line. It it held in place with 2 bell housing bolts and a connection on the driver's side frame right where the frame goes straight. But you do need a fuel rail tool to disconnect it

Quick Reply: 5.9 Fuel Rail