2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant and mayonnaise problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant and mayonnaise problem

Hello,

I’m having some questions, regarding my Dodge ram from 2000.

Since last month I’ve started noticing a pool of coolant under my engine, thinking this was caused due to a blown gasket on my water pump.

I’ve replaced the gasket, but my problem didn’t got fixed. So last days I’ve been digging deeper into it , and apparently it’s leaking from the timing gasket.

My question about this is the following. Could a blown timing gasket get coolant mixed up into my oil circuit? As I’ve started noticing some mayonnaise like substance on my oil cap. As far I know this should be caused due to coolant mixing up with my engine oil. When starting the car, it’s having an white exhaust fume, but after running hot , you barely notice any fumes coming out of my exhaust. Also it’s winter now , so I think this is normal and it’s only condensation due to the weather. So I’m hoping my mayonnaise problem is caused due to a blown timing gasket.

If not I’m scared I’ll have a blown head gasket. And I’ll be having alot of extra costs…

I’m located in Belgium, so parts are waaaay more expensive then in the states.

Currently my dodge which is a magnum 5.2L is having about 230k miles on it. It never had any real engine problems, except some minor issues which got fixed. ( Faulty TPS sensor, Distribution cap & rotor, sparkwires, plugs ).

Also my automatic trans has been rebuild the last 20k miles and so is my rear axle ( it’s rwd ).

With the miles it’s currently having, I don’t think I should let this car die, due to my problems.. As far I know it should be able to get more miles on this block without doing a rebuild…

Also in this cold weather when it has a cold start I notice my RPM stays around 1000RPM, Is this normal? Or is this also an indication of some faulty hardware/issues?

So what is your guys opinion? Is it worth the money still to fix it up? And could my mayonnaise issue be caused to my timing gasket?

Already thanking you guys alot !

Sincerely Laurens,

Old 02-07-2018, 01:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Yep, the timing cover is sandwiched between the engine block, and the water pump, so, coolant passes thru in two spots, and it is entirely possible for them to develop leaks. The fix is actually easy.... (if a bit tedious....) just replace the gaskets. Installing a NEW water pump, and replacing the timing chain and gears at the same time is also a good idea.

Something else to consider, while you are digging that deep into it, is the plenum gasket. (gasket between intake manifold, and steel pan on the bottom of it) They are notorious for blowing the gasket out, and causing some interesting issues. There is a thread dedicated to plenum issues stickied at the top of this forum. Have a read. Then have a look, and see if that is also something you need to address.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-07-2018, 01:18 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Send an oil sample to a lab. Then you'l know if there is antifreeze in the oil. Places that service semi's would have them.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:27 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

So , actually an blown plenum gasket , looks like i have it..
Got trouble getting up the hill , drinks oil and leaks oil near the rear camshaft seal ( i believe ).

So i guess ill be ordering hughes plenum fix kit, new rear camshaft seal, and oilpan gaskets ... Already ordered my timing chain and waterpump and so on..
Hopefully then i won't be leaking\using coolant and oil also , and it'll be preforming better! With my 230k miles i believe it's needed to replace the timing chain?

Thanks in advance guys! appreciate the feedback !

Greetings , Laurens !

Old 02-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Also will a

3/8" & 5/16" Scissor Fuel Line Disconnect Tool

do the trick on disconnecting the fuel line?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Gotta pull the motor to get to the rear of the camshaft...... I don't think I have ever seen one leak though... Make sure that's where the oil is coming from. (might be rear main seal, which does NOT require yanking the motor to fix.....)

Get the 3/8ths metal tool. I have broken too many of the plastic ones, and it will also work on the trans lines, where the plastic multi-tool simply doesn't fit. Not enough room between the fitting, and the radiator.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Gotta pull the motor to get to the rear of the camshaft...... I don't think I have ever seen one leak though... Make sure that's where the oil is coming from. (might be rear main seal, which does NOT require yanking the motor to fix....
you're right mate, i mean the rear main sail where the torque convertor and tranny is linked up to.

Would you suggest placing an new oilpump to when the oilpan is dropped?
Also i'd like to clean out my coolant circuit before i tear it apart, anyone know some good products to let it cycle a few miles with so it cleans the circuit? I've heared about seafoam or something?

Muchos gracias guys !!! appreciate it !

Old 02-08-2018, 07:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Oil pump needs to come off to do the rear main anyway, so might just as well replace it. (you can replace the pickup tube as well, or, just transfer it from the old pump.)

There used to be some truly good chemicals available for flushing the cooling system, however, they got regulated out of existence here in the states. Something like lime-away, or muriatic acid works fairly well.....

Old 02-10-2018, 05:48 AM
Laurens Moja
Professional

Damned, having blown heads i think..
left heads leaking front of the engine, near thermos and timing cover...

I just spend 1k € on parts to give it some maintenance.. this is my daily... i don't have the money to get the engine rebuild...
Am i screwed now? would you suggest quit driving it?
Could i simply put another gasket and hope it doesnt leak anymore? temp never got above 195f..

damned damned damned ...

Attached Thumbnails Coolant and mayonnaise problem-27951068_1950951394919444_1441619383_o.jpg   Coolant and mayonnaise problem-27946932_1950951374919446_834675878_o.jpg  
Old 02-10-2018, 06:06 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurens Moja
Damned, having blown heads i think..
left heads leaking front of the engine, near thermos and timing cover...

I just spend 1k € on parts to give it some maintenance.. this is my daily... i don't have the money to get the engine rebuild...
Am i screwed now? would you suggest quit driving it?
Could i simply put another gasket and hope it doesnt leak anymore? temp never got above 195f..

damned damned damned ...
You would have to pull the head to see if it's cracked (these engines are known for that at least some are). You could also try a gasket maker and pile it on heavy in that area. I would suggest pulling the head and seeing what shape is in. Could be a worn out gasket or worse case scenario it's a cracked head.

Quick Reply: Coolant and mayonnaise problem