2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

One bank running rich????

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM
killerride
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One bank running rich????

New Ram 2500 owner here and I'm trying to figure this thing out. Ive been getting a P0300 code. Yesterday I changed my platinum plugs to copper ones thinking it might solve my problem of the truck idling rough and also back firing. When I pulled the plugs on the passenger side the plugs looked like they were burning alright slight tan discoloration with only 75 mi. on them it looks about right. The other side(drivers) has obvious fouling with black soot on all of the plugs and #3 was wet and smelled of gas. Any Ideas ??I replaced the front o2 sensor on that side. Maybe the #2 sensor ?? Any replies are welcome. Any body heard of just one bank running rich? And what would cause it ?? Oh and I checked the spark to the #3 plug and it is firing through the wire. I dont think its the coils.

Last edited by killerride; 02-23-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:10 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What year, engine size, do you have dual cats?

Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 AM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by killerride
New Ram 2500 owner here and I'm trying to figure this thing out. Ive been getting a P0300 code. Yesterday I changed my platinum plugs to copper ones thinking it might solve my problem of the truck idling rough and also back firing. When I pulled the plugs on the passenger side the plugs looked like they were burning alright slight tan discoloration with only 75 mi. on them it looks about right. The other side(drivers) has obvious fouling with black soot on all of the plugs and #3 was wet and smelled of gas. Any Ideas ??I replaced the front o2 sensor on that side. Maybe the #2 sensor ?? Any replies are welcome. Any body heard of just one bank running rich? And what would cause it ?? Oh and I checked the spark to the #3 plug and it is firing through the wire. I dont think its the coils.
A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak. There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem Possible Solutions include: Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary. Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling. Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced. Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)

Old 02-23-2018, 10:43 AM
killerride

Originally Posted by true blue
What year, engine size, do you have dual cats?
Its an '01 2500 V10

Originally Posted by V65Ozzie
A code P0172 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak. There could be a fuel pressure or delivery problem Possible Solutions include: Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary. Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling. Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches. Check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Check the fuel injectors, they may be dirty. Use fuel injector cleaner or get them professionally cleaned/replaced. Check for an exhaust leak before the first oxygen sensor (this is unlikely to cause the problem, but it is possible)
Its has been pullinng up a P0300. Haven't had a P0172, dont know what that is. Checked and cleaned the Maf, no vacuum leaks, new fuel pump assembly, I will check the pressure. I Dont know why it, what ever IT is, is only affecting one side. It cant be fuel because only one side is pig rich, its not spark I have confirmed that. I'm thinking its gotta be the o2 sensor but so far nothing, unless I missed a wire that got chewed on by Rats. I already repaired about 24 wires and replaced a few connectors and 2 o2 sensors.

Last edited by killerride; 02-23-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

What brand O2 sensors?

Old 02-23-2018, 11:26 AM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by killerride
Its an '01 2500 V10

Its has been pullinng up a P0300. Haven't had a P0172, dont know what that is. Checked and cleaned the Maf, no vacuum leaks, new fuel pump assembly, I will check the pressure. I Dont know why it, what ever IT is, is only affecting one side. It cant be fuel because only one side is pig rich, its not spark I have confirmed that. I'm thinking its gotta be the o2 sensor but so far nothing, unless I missed a wire that got chewed on by Rats. I already repaired about 24 wires and replaced a few connectors and 2 o2 sensors.
Sorry, brain fart...working on too much stuff. P0300 is random multiple misfire. I believe yours has plugs wires dist cap etc? Not too familiar with the V10's If that is the case I'd be looking at spark crossover, New cap rotor and wires, properly routed should fix that. My 5.9 did the 0300 code repeatedly, since changing plugs cap rotor and wires it's been good. Buy good quality parts. Looking at the firing order on the V10 shows that each bank fires alternately, so it's possible that the cap is arc tracking inside, so spark destined for one side end up at the other. Ordinarily a bad 02 sensor will pop a code quickly, but it's been my experience that the chryslers are resistant to setting an 02 codes. My Jeep drove for 2 years with a gutted cat and never popped an 02 codes. Similar experience with a bad upstream sensor, truck ran like crap when cold, bucking, stalling, etc. Unplugged the 02 sensors and ran great, but set a code, obviously. replace 02 sensors, no more code, and ran great. Try unplugging the front 02 sensors and see what happens.
Just checked: No wires, you have COP's (coil on plug) unplug the 02 sensors, see what happens. Check fuel pressure for giggles COP's generally don't misfire unless you are getting a bad signal from the controlling sensor. I need to look at the system some more to get a better understanding of it, but, I'm at work and the boss is looking at me cross eyed. Got a lot of stuff the get running.....

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 02-23-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 11:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

No distributor on the V-10, but, there are plug wires......

Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM
killerride

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What brand O2 sensors?
NTK is the brand o2 sensor

Old 02-23-2018, 12:43 PM
killerride

Wires are brand new borg warners(135mi) checked all for spark and it is there.

Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Reset the PCM. That will both clear codes, and force it to relearn how to run the motor. If you still have a problem only on one bank, time to look at injectors, and see if you have one sticking open.

Quick Reply: One bank running rich????