2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ex cab, 5.9, laramie- AC voltage to compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 10:28 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So add something other than freon to find where leak(s) is? I have one of those evac machines, was like 350 bucks used. Dude said I would need tank for it. I might try getting a tank of whatever I need to put in system, the stuff that's not freon, and find it that way, then repair, then freon. I forgot what it was they throw in to detect. Like nitrogen w dye, or something like that I think.

But youre correct, I would like to go the right way route for a change. Not to mention freon costs!
Maybe I could throw in freon, if I found the leak before it all disappeared, evac it w this machine, repair, put it back plus whatever it's short? Versus getting the detection/dye stuff?

Last edited by marcpilot1; 02-27-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2018, 08:21 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have never charged an AC

Old 02-27-2018, 10:50 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Thanks for that vid, Ramchu! You're great help. Appreciate your time too! I do know time's very valuable & to give any for free, well, thanks so much.(same goes to everyone else on here as well, those of you who offer/give it away, all for nothin more than a "thanks", and even that, you all don't get half the time!)

So I've charged bunches of cars ac's. Several vehicles over past 10yrs. Family & friends, friends of friends, and my own cars. And now my Ram! Love my 98! 248K & runnin strong as 10 mighty mules!! Just need ac before summer sets in good. Down here it's freakin scorchin in th siummer!
But the ones I've done I've only used those common cans from places like AZ, wlmrt, etc, even big Lots one time when they had generic ones for 5 bucks a can, to fill em all up!

I've always vac'd any system I've opened before filling any of friends/family/my vehicles. Always replaced receiver driers or accumulators when opening them up, or if they've been not working for good while. Replaced compressors, lines, o-rings, condensers, etc. when needed(sometimes when not, a just while ur there kinda thing). Even evaporators, in a couple cars. Hating those though!

Prob is, always had to find leaks wrong way.
I'd put some Freon in em, take my 200 freakin dollar! sniffer, find leak(s), repair issue(s), then vac it down till systems hold bout -30 or so microns(or whatever you call em).
At that point, when system was all good, I'd have to fill em up w more new freon, and only from the cans from the stores only.
If I replaced compressors I'd throw correct called for pag oil, then fill.

But lately, since summers comin soon, been thinkin it sucks to have to waste Freon, not to mention I'm sure it's wrong and also bad for enviro. See what i'm sayin?
I've always only done home "tree" work on ac's and only that way. It kinda sucks.
So I bought that used recovery machine. It's called "Yellow Jacket" refrig recovry system, model #R-60
Says us a 30 or 50lb tank w it. Says to use for: R-12, R-22, R-134a, R-500 and R-502.

That's why the ?'s bout a tank. I should prob find an AC site somewhere & try their forum, I just prefer this place since I found it. Easily over any other car places on net that I've been to, for some reason!

Anyway, I've heard where what i'm POSSIBLY supposed to do is buy refrigerant from somewhere and fill it from the 30lb, maybe a 50 but seems 30 is suggested more often for vehicles?
I cant seem to find a tank yet, prob not as common as I thought they'd be. Much less where to get em filled w Freon. And, I'm now wondering if it's even cheaper to get the refrigerant that way or just buy cans?

Then I think I'm supposed to weigh tank before fill and after to know exactly how much refrig went in vehicle.
Also, I've heard(somewhere, not sure though), that you can fill system w something cheaper than freon to find leaks.
So that's whats up w me right now. This is where I'm at.

Appreciate yalls info, help!

Old 02-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Ramchu
Professional

Unless you are doing a lot of auto AC work, investing in a 30 lb. jug of R134a doesn't make sense to me.
Using a freon sniffer to find a leak, is actually recommended, UV leak detector, added to the system will pin point
any leaks that a sniffer will only get you close to. Each method has it's purpose.

And, thank You, for the for the kind words.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:36 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Oh yea, no problem. Knd words- y'all deserve em every now n then. More "nows" than "thens", imo.

Alright, tanks not really worth the investment as ur absolutely correct, not wrkng at ac shop nor own one, running one, never gonna buy one, open one, etc, etc, etc. But I think I'm still sorta screwed? If I evacuate a system that actually does have freon, is there any other way?
Does this Yellow Jacket thing HAVE to have some type of tank for collecting or anything? (assume it does when I read that back to myself) Obviously I haven't even read any manuals for this thing, this particular model, the R-60 one.

Man, If I can get away with not havin to buy a tank, that'd be SWEET! Mainly cuz I went lookin round online at ebay, amzn since ur last post and those things are up there, freakin high dollar! To me anyway! I'm poor!!
They do make those cans though that require a "tap" and they do sell em at most stores. It's usually a white can, can't remember the brand or name. I never use em though. Just ol regulars! My yellow "common" hose hasn't really ever been used for nothing but vacuuming systems.

As always, thx.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:49 PM
Ramchu
Professional

The tank that you are referring to, I believe, would be for refrigerant recovery,
again unless you are doing a lot of AC repair, what's the need ?
If the refrigerant in your system needs to be recovered take it to an AC shop
and have them do it.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:53 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

That's good point. One of which I've actively pursued.
Ac shops here(and I live in pretty decent size city so there's def lot of em) all have told me same thing: "wont do it unless gonna pay for em to fix system". In other words, even if I say my system ain't broke, that I just want system evac'd, they say basically same thing,-they wont do it(anymore). At least ones I've called tell me that.

Maybe Midas will. Never thought of them. I don't know who else might do it though as of right now, But I can certainly go back and call a few again.

Why do these freakin tanks cost so much? You'd think the gov would want to make them more easily affordable since I'm over here destroying the ozone layers. In their opinion. I guess in mine too somewhat.

I'll get more into this issue today as I've finally got me day off.
I did get the pass seat butt cushion put on the drivers side without having to take foam and cover off and put onto the drivers seat frame for the butt part! Just popped in the rear 2 screw/bolts and drilled the front two to fit the existing holes of seat. They were already close, like within 1/2", just not quite close enough! I actually like the pass side's butt cushion where the drivers side one was better than the reg drivers side cushion! Gonna be a GOOD day, I can feel it!(when I sit in truck)

Old 02-27-2018, 06:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

They have to write you an estimate of repairs for you to approve (or not....) before they can fix anything. Having them find the leak, write you an estimate, and then you decline the repairs.......

Or, if they find the leak, and it's cheap (relatively) for them to address, just have them deal with it, then you get a warranty too.

Or, since the system is currently low, get some refrigerant. with the dye already in it, recharge the system with that, run it for a while, then go looking for leaks.

Quick Reply: 98 ex cab, 5.9, laramie- AC voltage to compressor