2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No start and raw gas coming out of down pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM
illgetyou22
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No start and raw gas coming out of down pipe

This one is kind of stumping me, I bought this truck second hand (1996 1500 with 5.2) not running and owner said truck wouldn't start but would pop over for a second on either he had let the truck sit for a year and it stopped running. First I cranked over a couple times then checked codes and it came up with nothing. Then sprayed either and it poped over for a second just like the owner said it did. I then checked fuel pump and it was priming like it should so I took the fuel line off and found no gas coming out. Found out the truck was out of fuel (tank was empty) put five gallons in and reprimed the fuel system. When I went to start the motor started then locked when to start again and starter would not turn motor, I waiting 5 minutes tried again truck started then motor locked this time I realized fuel coming out of the exhaust down pipe. I pulled the plugs and some plugs where soaked and some where dry. Anyone have a clue what could be going on?

Old 02-26-2018, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Fuel injectors stuck open.

Pull the fuel rail, with the injectors still attached. Prime the engine a couple times, but, do NOT crank it over. (that could give you a truly rude surprise.) Check and see if you have injectors spraying fuel.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:19 PM
illgetyou22

If I do this wont the injectors blow out of the rail from pressure?

Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 365 Likes on 343 Posts

Put a pressure gauge on it and see if it drops fast when you shut it off. Almost guaranteed it will. I would visit your local junk yard and get all new/used injectors.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:07 AM
illgetyou22

Does anyone know if v10 injectors from the same year truck are the same? Is this a common issue?

Old 03-10-2018, 08:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Why would you want V-10 injectors? Before you blindly replace them, make sure they are indeed the problem.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:41 AM
illgetyou22

Its not that I would want them I have a parts truck here thats a 1995 v10 so I was seeing if they were cross compatible.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Ah, that makes sense. "Free" is always my favorite price..... There are parts catalogs for various year trucks in the faq section here, look up the part numbers, and see if the match. (or, use someone else's parts catalog, rockauto??)

Old 03-11-2018, 01:47 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way to check for a stuck fuel injector would be to use a multi-meter. Set it to Ohms and check the continuity. Get a note pad and check the continuity between both pins of every fuel injector then write it down with the corresponding cylinder. When you find one or two that are further off than the others you will have found the offending injector.

So say for instance you check the injectors and you get:
1: 3ohms
2: 3ohms
3: 1ohms
4: 3.1
5: 2.9
6: 0.4
7: 3
8: 3

Then you can say that number 3 and number 6 are the offending injectors.

^ a good how to.
Here is another really good reference for our vehicles.
And here are a list of Factory Service Manuals for our trucks.

I strongly recommend you thumb through the FSM when you have time. You will be amazed at how easy Dodge made it to work on these old 2nd gens.

That being said this trick I'm about to tell you about is a do it at your own risk trick. I recommend using a hose and some sort of pump to remove the gas from the flooded cylinders BUT if you absolutely cannot this trick will get the gas out and all over your engine bay.

I've done this trick a few times in the past with flooded engines so it may help you some.

Step 1: Label all spark plug wires near spark plug boots
Step 2: Pull spark plug wires off spark plugs
Step 3: Pull Spark Plugs and inspect them (leave them out)
Step 4: Disconnect wire from Ignition coil (safety measure, I disconnect it from the bottom side)
Step 5: Get in truck and hold the gas peddle to the floor.
Step 6: Crank like a sum bitch. Your truck should turn the motor over and force the gas out of the spark plug holes. It will be messy but it will empty out those flooded cylinders.

This is how I've done it in the past. A safer way would be to use a hose and some type of pump to pump the gas out which I would recommend above what I just said.

Last edited by Shadow_Death; 03-11-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: No start and raw gas coming out of down pipe