2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'98 1500 5.2L no start, no spark, plugs dry

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Yeah, that little rat bastard would die a slow n painful death...once you finish the repairs...get a 50,000 volt coil, hook 'er up (the rat,I mean) n run your battery dead trying to start her up (the engine, I mean). THEN... recharge your battery if that rat's still alive n try starter fluid this time(where you spray it is of course, your choice).
Insert sinister LOL here!!!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:00 PM
5mall5nail5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How about a shot a bit further away. I don't recognize that one at all....
Sorry about that - I'll have to get another - it's between the fuel injectors and valve cover on the driver side about 3/4 of the way back on the valve cover, near the firewall.

Edit: Son of a bitch, it's looking like the camshaft position sensor/fuel sync/etc (wtf do you guys call it on these trucks lol?). This MF took out my crank AND cam sensor. Clever:

That would explain no codes - the engine has no idea its turning from either sensor. Is there a DIY for replacing that sensor? Can I just pop the cover off the distributor or am I messing with resetting timing and such?

Last edited by 5mall5nail5; 03-11-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Cam sensor is just as easy as you think. (I think the parts stores call it a 'pick-up coil') Pull the dist cap, take out the old one, drop in the new one, put the cap back on.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:15 PM
5mall5nail5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UGH.

She runs. Done.

I made a bunch more work for myself. The damn rodents bit the crankshaft connector off so close to the main harness I wanted to actually remove that side of the harness to pull it toward the front of the truck to work on it. I undid all the injectors/etc. and then there was a ring terminal ground at the front near the alternator - went to remove the nut holding that down and it twisted the ring terminals and they broke off the battery ground and harness ground. GRR. And, it turned out, it wouldn't have helped much because there was significant connections going down the firewall to the transmission tunnel area anyway. So, I had to repair the crankshaft sensor connection on-truck - sucked.

In the end, she's got a new distributor cap, rotor, plug wires. I reused the crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor after repairing the connectors on them. She runs beautifully - smoother than before likely due to new ignition components.

Hopefully the rodents don't come back : Thanks for your help all.

Quick Reply: '98 1500 5.2L no start, no spark, plugs dry