2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 5.9 Occasional Hard Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 96 5.9 Occasional Hard Start

Truck specs are in my sig.

I am having an intermittent start up problem.
When cold startup seems fine, then drive it enough to get it up to normal running temp,
shut it off and 10 minutes later go to start it up, longer crank time and sluggish startup.
It runs great once I get it started.

I have noticed that the idle is a bit low lately, at times.
Not getting a CEL

Looking for suggestions for where to start looking,
all help will be appreciated !

Old 03-15-2018, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Something is getting warm, and having issues.... Trouble is, there are too many things that could potential cause it, cam or crank sensor spring immediately to mind. (leaning toward crank sensor.) You may have to wait till it gets worse before you can figure it out.

Old 03-15-2018, 10:39 AM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd say check your fuel pressure during hard start first. Next, look into the evap emissions circuit. A good place to start (forgive the punn) is to remove the gas cap n see if there is a giant sucking sound. Take the gas cap off n see if the pickup gets any easier to start. The evap lines may be clogged, disconnected or your vapor purge tank is full or raw fuel. Put your hand or some form of metal stethoscope on the evap valve and listen or feel for a clicking noise, it should click. If it's not clicking, then it could be stuck open and your gas tank is undergoing a slow n steady vacuum buildup during warmup operations and the fuel pump can no longer overcome the vacuum until it once again slowly bleeds off after sitting for awhile. Last but certainly not least, if the fuel delivery is good, check ye 'ol cat for clogging n peer down the intake thru the throttle body to see if your plenum floor is a swimming pool of oil.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Ramchu
Professional

Just got to thinking, this past December I replaced the TPS, got it from O'Reilly Auto Parts,
don't remember the brand, but it was one of the lower priced ones, could this have an effect
on starting and idle ?

Old 03-15-2018, 11:14 AM
Ramchu
Professional

Originally Posted by true blue
I'd say check your fuel pressure during hard start first. Next, look into the evap emissions circuit. A good place to start (forgive the punn) is to remove the gas cap n see if there is a giant sucking sound. Take the gas cap off n see if the pickup gets any easier to start. The evap lines may be clogged, disconnected or your vapor purge tank is full or raw fuel. Put your hand or some form of metal stethoscope on the evap valve and listen or feel for a clicking noise, it should click. If it's not clicking, then it could be stuck open and your gas tank is undergoing a slow n steady vacuum buildup during warmup operations and the fuel pump can no longer overcome the vacuum until it once again slowly bleeds off after sitting for awhile. Last but certainly not least, if the fuel delivery is good, check ye 'ol cat for clogging n peer down the intake thru the throttle body to see if your plenum floor is a swimming pool of oil.
Thanks, I'll look into all of that.
Not quite 2 years ago I installed a new Carter brand fuel pump from Rock Auto.

Last edited by Ramchu; 03-15-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Carter is usually pretty good. I think Delphi, or Denso were what Dodge used from the factory.

TPS may play a role, simply checking the values show, when cold, and then hot, with throttle fully closed should tell the tale there.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:38 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Just give it a shot of ether! LOL. Maybe the IAC valve? You guys will probably think I'm nuts, but as old as our trucks are, we should just replace all the sensors and valves. We'd probably surprised at the difference.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:01 PM
true blue
Veteran
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

It's been my experience that the TPS is either good, bad or has a bad "spot". I've yet to see a bad one myself, even in upstate NY. If you have a volt/ohm meter you can do a resistance check to rule it out, it'll behave like a potentiometer on an old analog style radio. It won't be effected by temperature. However, there's always a first time for everything.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Ramchu
Professional

Haven't been able to duplicate the problem again to this point.

Just stopped by the local parts store and picked up the stuff to
give the throttle body a good cleaning, a dirty IAC could be the
causing the slightly low idle and at 164,000 + miles , I'm sure
that it won't hurt.

Thank's for all of the replies, I'll keep this updated when I find
something out.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I'd dump a couple cans of Sea Foam in the gas tank also.

Quick Reply: 96 5.9 Occasional Hard Start