2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 1500 Front End

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
The problem was going to coil springs up front. May ride great but death to steering engineering.

Geez, how many threads do you have going? I'm gonna re-name this forum Moparfanatic.com. We have a search feature, you know
I wouldn't know not a wiz at steering. Fine by me 😂 the search feature doesn't work on mobile at least in mine it don't. Plus I like opinions man lol. I am a Mopar wizard and love them.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:23 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ditch the factory y link steering for true crossover like this.

Old 05-15-2018, 03:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by jlake4130
ditch the factory y link steering for true crossover like this.
Big money for that steering setup..... but, it certainly has it's advantages. My problem with it is the difference in length of the drag link, and the track bar. As the suspension travels, that IS going to change steering angle.

Old 05-15-2018, 09:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Big money for that steering setup..... but, it certainly has it's advantages. My problem with it is the difference in length of the drag link, and the track bar. As the suspension travels, that IS going to change steering angle.
I think that's the kit for DOR and crossover steering I still don't understand the advantages of it

Old 05-15-2018, 09:54 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Durability, super flexing ability, separate drag link mount, replaceable heim joints, solid steel tubing, etc. Pick up any off-road rag and all the builds have it. You can see the drag link is mounted above the tie rods (which mount directly from one tire to the other side) which allows for precise and durable steering, especially with larger tires and when rock climbing.

Heims on road are a different story. Once they wear they get bad quick and are expensive to replace. Not to mention the issue heyyou mentioned. Just ask yourself, "Am I building a rock crawler or daily driver?" The answer determines crossover worth.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Durability, super flexing ability, separate drag link mount, replaceable heim joints, solid steel tubing, etc. Pick up any off-road rag and all the builds have it. You can see the drag link is mounted above the tie rods (which mount directly from one tire to the other side) which allows for precise and durable steering, especially with larger tires and when rock climbing.

Heims on road are a different story. Once they wear they get bad quick and are expensive to replace. Not to mention the issue heyyou mentioned. Just ask yourself, "Am I building a rock crawler or daily driver?" The answer determines crossover worth.
What is you are building both? Like I eventually plan to do

Old 05-16-2018, 09:07 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above crossover steering i built myself. A good eye will see the bung (hole) on the passenger side of the tierod.When i first built this setup i designed it as a "T" style steering where the drag link connects to the tierod. The benefit of this is almost exact same length drag link and tracbar. Heyyou mentioned this above. However, the downside is/was the tie rod wants to rotate up/down when turning. This causes a very slight dead spot or play in the steering wheel.
By going to true crossover (where the draglink now connects to the passenger side knuckle) the play is completely removed and the tires turn 100% with every slight movement of the steering wheel which is what the OP was wanting/needing i beileve. I was able to move the draglink above the pitman arm to keep it parallel with tracbar. I have basically zero bumpsteer. At least non that can be felt.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

I see the BUNG HOLE!!

Old 05-16-2018, 02:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

The above crossover steering i built myself. A good eye will see the bung (hole) on the passenger side of the tierod.When i first built this setup i designed it as a "T" style steering where the drag link connects to the tierod. The benefit of this is almost exact same length drag link and tracbar. Heyyou mentioned this above. However, the downside is/was the tie rod wants to rotate up/down when turning. This causes a very slight dead spot or play in the steering wheel.
By going to true crossover (where the draglink now connects to the passenger side knuckle) the play is completely removed and the tires turn 100% with every slight movement of the steering wheel which is what the OP was wanting/needing i beileve. I was able to move the draglink above the pitman arm to keep it parallel with tracbar. I have basically zero bumpsteer. At least non that can be felt.
Yes that's exactly what I want! Care to share some specs I built 3 vehicles that went to SEMA but never got to into steering had a steering guy, but he passed away. So now I'm learning about it.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:57 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up

That's what I thought, looking at your pictures. You should have almost no bump steer with that set up.

Quick Reply: 01 1500 Front End