2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering wheel off center

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 12:11 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit

You would have to move the pitman arm a tooth or adjust the tie rods until the wheel is centered and the toe in is correct. I would think the pitman arm is where it should be, or has the steering box been replaced? I would adjust the tie rods.
I believe the pitman arm is indexed, so moving it one tooth is not possible. Plus, doing that would limited/extend steering to one side.
It's tricky to center the steering wheel. The alignment rack is level. Most of the roads in the US are cambered to the right(in direction of travel) So, a vehicle that has a centered steering wheel on a flat level surface is always having to turn slightly left to go straight. Depending on the road camber, this can mean a large off centeredness(I made up a word) in the steering wheel. I used to do alignments, I was **** about having the wheel centered, yet people drove me nuts with complaints of being off centered. I finally found a road that was level, one that was cambered right, and one that was cambered left, and would physically show customers what happens by driving with them on those roads.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:08 AM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I align my semi. We make the distance between the drive axles on the passenger side about a 1/16" bigger to hold the truck against the crown. Picture rolling a styrofoam cup.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel off center