2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum and timing chain

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 10:53 PM
Andy Keller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum and timing chain

Alright, I know there's a ton of threads on both of these, but I want to be absolutely sure of what I'm doing before I do it. I'm going to be replacing the plenum, gasket, and timing chain all at once, and putting a 3° cam offset in as well, to make it a little snappier on the throttle, better low end torque, and better overall mileage. But, besides the parts I'm getting, what else am I going to need, as far as tools, fluids, etc. Also, what all needs to be pulled off or moved out of the way, etc. Thanks in advance

Old 06-06-2018, 12:21 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Holy cow.

Parts? A Lot.

Tools? A ton.

If you're truly wondering, you might want to get a mechanic friend to help or even just pay someone. I used every tool I had plus several "day savers" that my Dad had around from his big rigs. You are basically stripping the entire engine down to the long block. Only thing left is heads. Everything from oil pan to AC is removed. I've listed what I did on a thread a couple years ago you can find. What I did is research and make a list so that is probably fastest.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 AM
Andy Keller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ramman I didn't see what thread you were referring to, unless it was in your tb clean thread and you went further than the tb. As far as parts to take off, I know there's gonna be a ton, that's why I was gonna do both plenum and timing chain at the same time, as well as throw a 3° offset in as well. Figure I'll be tearing it apart eventually, so why not do both at the same time?

Old 06-06-2018, 09:29 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there that show the procedure and tools used. Search on 5.9 plenum repair and timing chain replacement and that should put you into the trove of videos showing the repairs performed.

Old 06-06-2018, 12:30 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts
Old 06-06-2018, 11:01 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-special.html

I did what you're planning. I bought a complete engine gasket set from Fel-pro. I ground the tips off the plenum bolts and re used the steel plate. I replaced the water pump, timing set, gaskets, thermostat, cap, rotor, spark plugs, IAC, block heater, lower radiator hose, bypass hose, temp sensor (I broke it), oil and filter, and probably more that I'm not remembering. I broke some vacuum lines and had to fix them. Take lots of pictures to show us, I mean so you remember where everything goes. I think the only special tools I used were a harmonic balancer puller and torque wrenchs. (There's a special tool for the fan clutch also) The correct dots for lining up the timing gears are small and hard to see.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:06 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

I didn't need the tool for the fan. And there is also a tool needed to release the fuel line.

Quick Reply: Plenum and timing chain