2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Extended Cranking, Gas Smell in Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 10:36 PM
Graplr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramchu
I was having extended cranking with rough idle for a few seconds after start up, after the first start it would start instantly, unless it sat for a while, turned out to be the check valve in the fuel pump
was bad, allowing fuel to drain back to the tank.
Just something for you to consider.
Originally Posted by 2bit
I've always wondered if where the fuel sync is set affects MPG. Some get 16, some 11. Would be interesting to know where their fuel sync is set.
I guess I'm not sure what you are referring to or what a fuel sync is??

Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Graplr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've searched but couldn't really find much help. I don't have a Schrader valve in the fuel rail so I need to put a tee in somewhere to check fuel pressure. What have you all done or seen done? Where did they put the tee in? I dont want to splice at the hose going in to the fuel rail, right?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:23 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Fuel sync is a fancy term Dodge uses for injector timing. It's set by turning the distributor on our engines. Timing is controlled by the ECM.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
Fuel sync is a fancy term Dodge uses for injector timing. It's set by turning the distributor on our engines. Timing is controlled by the ECM.
Yep. Need a scan tool to set fuel sync, one that is actually able to tell you what that value is.

Turning the distributor won't affect ignition timing either. That is all dealt with via the crank position sensor.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:35 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep. Need a scan tool to set fuel sync, one that is actually able to tell you what that value is.

Turning the distributor won't affect ignition timing either. That is all dealt with via the crank position sensor.
That's why I'm curious if setting it advanced, at 0, or a little retarded affects MPG. There's huge factors in driving style, elevation, hwy or city driving a person's commute involves, idle time, but some get 16 and some get 10 or 11 MPG. It would be interesting to know everyones MPG and where their fuel sync is set to see if a pattern develops.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fuel sync will like have some affect on fuel economy, but, I doubt it would be more than 1 or 2 mpg, at best. Lots of things can contribute to poor fuel economy, and the condition of the engine, and rest of the components play a much bigger role. If fuel sync gets to far off, the engine simply runs terrible. If at all.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:51 PM
2bit
Record Breaker

Sorry for getting off topic, but it would be really cool to know if a certain spot was better for
mpg. It would be an easy fix for a lot of people, or at least a good starting point.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Setting it to factory spec is best for performance, which would also turn out to be best for fuel consumption. (I refuse to call it 'economy' on these trucks. ) Plus or minus 7 degrees.

Quick Reply: Extended Cranking, Gas Smell in Oil