2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

truck died at a light, restarted first try and is fine now. sensor on its way out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck died at a light, restarted first try and is fine now. sensor on its way out?

90 degrees today, had ac on. died as i stopped at a light. no noises or strange behavior. cel came on when it died, obviously but went out upon restart. when it died the ac stayed on and radio stayed on as well. never had an issue before like this. thinking random stumble or possibly a sensor is starting to fail. if so which would you look into? has new IAC, tested tps checked out ok. thats all though

Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 PM
jrox44
Professional

Maby ac compressor or compressor bearing on its way out. At idle there may of been too much load/resistance to keep it running. When's the last time the compressor was oiled inside and serviced ?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:29 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

i got the truck at 108k miles and i have not had it serviced. most likely the previous owners didn't either. to test can i remove belt and try and spin by hand the pulley? should it freely spin easily?

Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yep. Smooth too. If it's crunchy/notchy at all, time for some work there.

What brand IAC did you install?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

ill test that as soon as possible then. and i put in factory Mopar IAC

Old 08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
jrox44
Professional

Yeah as hey you said if theirs anything noise or anything when u spin the pully it's time to replace it. What happens is your iac valve goes to 100% with that much load but it's still not enough to keep the truck running and it dies at idle. And it will stumble a bit of the start. If truck is fine with AC off I would definitely check your compressor and pully before looking anywhere else. Your only other thing is your iacv isn't compensating for the extra load the ac adds. U can also try turning your heat and defroster on which will kick the compressor on and see if it does the same thing. And trying turning lights ,wipers, radio , and everything u can turn on in the truck to see if the iacv compensates for the extra load

Last edited by jrox44; 08-06-2015 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:31 AM
jmhd1989
Veteran

Originally Posted by jrox44
Yeah as hey you said if theirs anything noise or anything when u spin the pully it's time to replace it. What happens is your iac valve goes to 100% with that much load but it's still not enough to keep the truck running and it dies at idle. And it will stumble a bit of the start. If truck is fine with AC off I would definitely check your compressor and pully before looking anywhere else. Your only other thing is your iacv isn't compensating for the extra load the ac adds. U can also try turning your heat and defroster on which will kick the compressor on and see if it does the same thing. And trying turning lights ,wipers, radio , and everything u can turn on in the truck to see if the iacv compensates for the extra load
thanks for the info, i have put 75 miles on it since the incident with ac blazing and it has not done it again. ive been driving it with my scan tool connected so that if it did die again i could read the code but it hasn't even shown a hint of wanting to stall. maybe just another fluke thing but i will keep these facts in mind so i know what to look into if it does continue to act up. i will check the compressor this weekend to be safe. thanks for all

Old 11-01-2015, 10:13 PM
HD Dakota

My 2000 Dakota has done the same thing about 5 times with nothing on and it starts right back up.. don't seem like starving for fuel or air but just dies. it seems to happen when the breaks are applied could that be the break booster?

Old 07-09-2018, 09:24 PM
Adam Gartin

Same issue i originally thought fuel pump but tested that and it is at 52 psi and only fluctuates about 2 psi even when revving the engine or driving. A new IAC was installed 6 months ago. i haven't been able to tell if its coincides with ac clutch engagement or not. But will check with clutch engaged and disengaged tonight. is there any sensors that would cause this issue with no codes pending or set?
My truck is a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L magnum 2 wheel drive.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Any of a number of them, unfortunately.

What brand IAC did you install? The aftermarket feller I put it was pretty random whether it wanted to work right or not..... I replaced it with a use mopar unit, and no issues since then.

Quick Reply: truck died at a light, restarted first try and is fine now. sensor on its way out?