2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts
Default 60/80 Axles

I ordered the trusses for both the front and rear axles, along with full hydro bracket for the front. Also ordered the ARB lockers going with 5.36 gears. Got to paint them still to. What do you guys think paint or powder coat and black or Plum Crazy? Started taking apart the rear axle and just give giggles I wanted to see what I'd liked like inside and what gears. 3.93 gears and the inside looked great for a $150 axle

Old 03-10-2019, 10:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Pics of some of the old cars ;)

You guys wanted to see some pics of my old cars here they are.
74 Duster

68 Charger R/T 4 Spd Hemi:
How we found it

Cleaned

How it sits now

64 Dodge Polara

66 Plymouth Valiant Convertible

I also own a 67 Dart 2dr post and a 39 Plymouth Truck

Old 03-11-2019, 09:07 AM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Thanks man! Still far from finished. Depends on what you want with the bumper. Just the bumper nope bolts in line for factory bumper, just have to buy carriage bolts (8) and nuts (8) abs you can mount it. They offer some adjustment but I bought one that allows new to raise it 3" (at the time I didn't know if i was going to do a body lift which I am now). Got mine on eBay (made by Epic) for under $70. Now me I want the Mopar "M" tow hooks and that is a little more complicated but I am going to do a write up here in this thread but you still need the bumper mounts PLUS the factory (3rd or 4th gen) mounts. So depends on what you want. As for the rust proofing what are your plans? Keeping the cab and everything on or pulling them off?
Wow I didn't even know you could get that in depth with it. I recall just hearing someone mention you have to buy custom mounts that bolt to the 2nd gen factory mounts then you can add the bumper. So if you did a body lift you need to do some adjusting? I don't think I will be doing a body lift but probably a small lift up front to make more room for 33's. Yea I think I will be keeping all that on. My plan is to get under the truck while its lifted and spray until I cant anymore.

Old 03-11-2019, 12:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by potentshadow
Wow I didn't even know you could get that in depth with it. I recall just hearing someone mention you have to buy custom mounts that bolt to the 2nd gen factory mounts then you can add the bumper. So if you did a body lift you need to do some adjusting? I don't think I will be doing a body lift but probably a small lift up front to make more room for 33's. Yea I think I will be keeping all that on. My plan is to get under the truck while its lifted and spray until I cant anymore.
if no body lift just get the regular bumper mounts. The problem with what got are doing is you don't be able to get everywhere. My recommendation to you is grind/scrape/wire wheel anywhere there is rust. Then use a rust converter then self etching primer and paint with rustoleum paint. That would be your best bet. Now me I'll be doing something completely different but I'll also be doing a frame off job

Old 03-11-2019, 01:41 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I ordered the trusses for both the front and rear axles, along with full hydro bracket for the front. Also ordered the ARB lockers going with 5.36 gears. Got to paint them still to. What do you guys think paint or powder coat and black or Plum Crazy? Started taking apart the rear axle and just give giggles I wanted to see what I'd liked like inside and what gears. 3.93 gears and the inside looked great for a $150 axle
We're renaming you to PurpleFanatic!

I think I'd go with semi gloss black like factory. Have someone do some purple haze art on the diff covers

I don't think that is the gear ratio stamp... plus the number in the pic is 3.63.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
We're renaming you to PurpleFanatic!

I think I'd go with semi gloss black like factory. Have someone do some purple haze art on the diff covers

I don't think that is the gear ratio stamp... plus the number in the pic is 3.63.
That's stamped on the ring gear as the other numbers were part#s. I also posted the old cars for and to see give you a little eye candy . I wouldn't mind that name as I LOVE that color

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-11-2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:24 PM
potentshadow
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if no body lift just get the regular bumper mounts. The problem with what got are doing is you don't be able to get everywhere. My recommendation to you is grind/scrape/wire wheel anywhere there is rust. Then use a rust converter then self etching primer and paint with rustoleum paint. That would be your best bet. Now me I'll be doing something completely different but I'll also be doing a frame off job

Hmm Interesting. I might have to do everything in sections.. My truck is a southern truck 100% almost no rust at all on the bottom, thankfully. I want to keep it that way. I might see about starting up front first while I am doing the oil pan gasket and oil pump. I will have the truck on jack stands for more room probably. I have to somehow get the bed lifted at the very least to replace the fuel assembly. I might be able to get a bunch of the back frame that way.

Will I still need a primer coat down if clean the surfaces really well?

Beautiful collection by the way. Cant wait to see some more pictures of the truck.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:35 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by potentshadow
Hmm Interesting. I might have to do everything in sections.. My truck is a southern truck 100% almost no rust at all on the bottom, thankfully. I want to keep it that way. I might see about starting up front first while I am doing the oil pan gasket and oil pump. I will have the truck on jack stands for more room probably. I have to somehow get the bed lifted at the very least to replace the fuel assembly. I might be able to get a bunch of the back frame that way.

Will I still need a primer coat down if clean the surfaces really well?

Beautiful collection by the way. Cant wait to see some more pictures of the truck.
Yes also use a primer, after getting all the rust off (if there is any) then paint. You could use the Zinc primer I used earlier in this thread, after the self etching primer and before paint to add another barrier. My I'll probably use Chassis Saver or POR15 but I'm still testing the waters. Thanks for the kind words!

Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

That's stamped on the ring gear as the other numbers were part#s. I also posted the old cars for and to see give you a little eye candy . I wouldn't mind that name as I LOVE that color
Not buying into the idea that is the ratio... turn the axle 10 times and count how many times the yoke goes around, even cavemen like us can do that. Like the eye candy, especially the one-off targa top, paint delete, 1968 charger :-)

YEAAAHHH.... It was ALL good until I spotted that 70s Ford truck commingling with the other chargers.... WTF dude?!

Old 03-11-2019, 09:14 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
Not buying into the idea that is the ratio... turn the axle 10 times and count how many times the yoke goes around, even cavemen like us can do that. Like the eye candy, especially the one-off targa top, paint delete, 1968 charger :-)

YEAAAHHH.... It was ALL good until I spotted that 70s Ford truck commingling with the other chargers.... WTF dude?!
That 68 Charger has rare options like T-tops, racing body (weight reduction) and chrome paint .
That is how we found it lol no Fords or Chevys on my property. Although those (there were 2) Ford trucks are kind of rare they are High Boys. But I figured you'd like the eye candy and as you see I take my children seriously. But I'm a jack of all trades and master of none. I can do a little bit of everything lol.
I can't spin the ring gear as it's on the ground with tires but I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-11-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration