2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:53 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
Could be fun to throw people off with them badges tho. ....Ram Duster with a four barrel that year?

I was checking out your floorboard pics and was wondering, is a lot of that rust starting from the inside and not all from the underside?
My experience has been the floor board rust is generally starting from the carpet side. Usually if you see your seat bracket rusting where it connects to the floor, you've got floor rot from the inside. I caught the passenger side of my truck early, wire brushed and coated with rusty metal primer - easy if you pull the seats and floor covering. Driver side got cut out and replaced, not fun and really time consuming.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:12 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fj5gtx
My experience has been the floor board rust is generally starting from the carpet side. Usually if you see your seat bracket rusting where it connects to the floor, you've got floor rot from the inside. I caught the passenger side of my truck early, wire brushed and coated with rusty metal primer - easy if you pull the seats and floor covering. Driver side got cut out and replaced, not fun and really time consuming.
That's helpful to know. I've never tore into the carpet of any vehicle to notice whats going on. Seems like kind of a design flaw if that much moisture can go on through. I've never thought it looked like much fun pulling all that stuff out. Well, looks like more projects for down the road.

Thanks for the photos and reviews!

Old 08-04-2018, 06:21 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

On about every old used vehicle I buy, that is one of the first things that happens. Out come the seats and carpet. You'd be surprised how good the carpet looks after being pressure washed. The seat covers, if they come off easily, clean up really nice after being dunked in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap and then flushed out with water.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:02 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Could be fun to throw people off with them badges tho. ....Ram Duster with a four barrel that year?

I was checking out your floorboard pics and was wondering, is a lot of that rust starting from the inside and not all from the underside?
Yes it is I took the truck through a puddle Off-road and got it into the cab from a year or so ago. Which caused my seat brackets to rust and start to rust the floor
Exactly it was just surface rust and nothing major. Only two through rust spots on this northern truck
That's helpful to know. I've never tore into the carpet of any vehicle to notice whats going on. Seems like kind of a design flaw if that much moisture can go on through. I've never thought it looked like much fun pulling all that stuff out. Well, looks like more projects for down the road.

Thanks for the photos and reviews!
It is fun (for me anyway ) no problem! I get the undercoating for free so I decided to do a review and try to save people money!
On about every old used vehicle I buy, that is one of the first things that happens. Out come the seats and carpet. You'd be surprised how good the carpet looks after being pressure washed. The seat covers, if they come off easily, clean up really nice after being dunked in a 5 gallon bucket with dish soap and then flushed out with water.
I use a formula I made and use a extractor after sorry the formula and scrubbing with a brush. Didn't take the covers off because of the U Staples

Old 08-04-2018, 07:28 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahh, running the truck through water. That would definitely count as a big spill on the carpet. .

That's pretty cool you got that stuff to use and review.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Ahh, running the truck through water. That would definitely count as a big spill on the carpet. .

That's pretty cool you got that stuff to use and review.
It is the 3m stuff is amazing! Honestly I can't describe how happy I am with it

Old 08-04-2018, 07:59 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21

How about a pic of the 64 Polara?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

How about a pic of the 64 Polara?
You like it? That's one of many in my collection lol
I own a 68 Charger R/T, 74 Duster 340, 39 Plymouth Truck, 74 PowerWagon, 67 Dodge Dart, 56 Plymouth, 56 Dodge Custom Royal, 64 Polara, 66 Plymouth Valiant Convertible. I'm only in my 20s to

Old 08-04-2018, 09:00 PM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
You like it? That's one of many in my collection lol
I own a 68 Charger R/T, 74 Duster 340, 39 Plymouth Truck, 74 PowerWagon, 67 Dodge Dart, 56 Plymouth, 56 Dodge Custom Royal, 64 Polara, 66 Plymouth Valiant Convertible. I'm only in my 20s to

Lets see some of those....like all of them lol

Old 08-05-2018, 10:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Where do you store all of them? I have no more room for any more. LOL

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration