2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by racefan41
Just got some of those style bumper lights you did. Some cheapies ($20something) off amazon with no wire harness. Haven't decided exactly where I want to put them, but either gonna go in the bed (probably bottom side of tool box easily removable) and pivot so I can light up the bed or drop the gate and shine them out the back when needed, or I'm gonna cut out the newly developing rust spot forming in my rear bumper and put them there. Don't know how keen I am I putting them in the bumper, but it would be cheaper and easier than replacing or fixing the bumper.

Thanks for posting pics of those. The light output looks good.
I bought a bed light kit from Walmart and wired then up to come on when I drop the tailgate or come on with a switch in the cab. If you plan on mounting them in your rear bumper get a set of flush mount ones. Next mod is trying to put a cargo camera in the 3rd brake light like the 4th gens have. Also just bought a kit for the 6.4 Hemi swap that will give it 850hp/950tq have a Dyno sheet that the commit said they tested in another Hemi and they is wet you will make. Making the harness isn't too hard if you need any help let me know

Old 02-07-2019, 05:25 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I bought a bed light kit from Walmart and wired then up to come on when I drop the tailgate or come on with a switch in the cab. If you plan on mounting them in your rear bumper get a set of flush mount ones. Next mod is trying to put a cargo camera in the 3rd brake light like the 4th gens have. Also just bought a kit for the 6.4 Hemi swap that will give it 850hp/950tq have a Dyno sheet that the commit said they tested in another Hemi and they is wet you will make. Making the harness isn't too hard if you need any help let me know
I saw your writeup on the bed lights you did. Those are pretty sweet and probably more practical with not having a blinding light always in the corner of your eye if you're doing something at the back of the truck for a while.
The lights I got are flush mount that also came with brackets (which didn't know when I ordered them... bonus!)
As of now not planning on running a relay being that they're such low amp and as rarely as I will probably use them, it will be for short periods of time.

Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I saw your writeup on the bed lights you did. Those are pretty sweet and probably more practical with not having a blinding light always in the corner of your eye if you're doing something at the back of the truck for a while.
The lights I got are flush mount that also came with brackets (which didn't know when I ordered them... bonus!)
As of now not planning on running a relay being that they're such low amp and as rarely as I will probably use them, it will be for short periods of time.
I never seen a flush mount with a bracket usually you drill 4 holes and use bolts. Thanks for the kind words! I usually try to think about everything

Old 02-07-2019, 08:16 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I never seen a flush mount with a bracket usually you drill 4 holes and use bolts. Thanks for the kind words! I usually try to think about everything
They are TurbosII brand, 3x3 flush mount, $20.99. They have the regular holes for flush mounting, but also have holes in the side of the body if you wanna use the bracket for a bottom/top mount.

Last edited by racefan41; 02-07-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:43 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

They are TurbosII brand, 3x3 flush mount, $20.99. They have the regular holes for flush mounting, but also have holes in the side of the body if you wanna use the bracket for a bottom/top mount.
Interesting lol

Old 02-09-2019, 04:58 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Inverter Permanently Install

This is my take on a write up on installing a 3000W peak/300W continuous inverter from eBay in my truck
Difficulty: 6 out of 10
Knowledge need: Soldering Skills, Knowledge of Printed Circuit Boards, Wiring Knowledge
Truck: 2001 Ram 2500
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY SWEARING, FAILED RELATIONSHIPS, BEER DRANK, OR YOU BURNING YOUR TRUCK DOWN! Let's Begin!

Now the main body of the inverter will be mounted behind my dash. There will be a panel mounted to the dash under the 10" Alpine Radio and above the cup holders.
Please Note: I have an Aftermarket Fuse/Relay Holder and everything gets fused in their. Also my diagrams are crappy. My laptop took a crap on me and I ordered one. Once the gets here I will make a more detailed wiring diagram (Better then the FSM) and upload the mount into my CAD program. I make diagrams for all the accessories and they go into a FSM I made so if I ever sell the truck or take it to the shop they have diagrams to follow.
​​​​​​
Here is the body of the inverter:

The only thing that will be mounted to the bracket. This was the hardest part as it wasn't made to be separated from the body along with the switch:

​​​​
Here I am extending the LED, AC Plugs, Switch Wiring, and USB ports ( 1 1A & 1 2A). I use different color wiring with tracers for everything in the truck (nothing use the same combination) so they are easy to identify. I solder them covered then in electric grease and used adhesive lined heat shrink for a 100% water tight good connection:

When the switch originally was (on the back):

​​​
Here I cut of the power outlet plug and extended those wires to be hard wired into the truck:

Finally the drawings. I have two options for the mount form ABS plastic or use my 3D printer I bought along with the laptop. The scribbled per of the mount diagram is where double sided tape will go to hold the mount:

Once everything gets to me I will post the CAD drawing of the mount, the detailed wiring diagram, and everything mounted. Stay tuned!
I also plan on adding one in the back and maybe one to each door.

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 02-09-2019 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:25 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I never got my stuff I'll have to look into that. Also it was interior cleaning day where I pull everything I can and clean it. The only picture I took was of the overhead console also had to do a minor repair to it.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default New Things!

Finally changed my overhead console to purple:

Picked up a package today at the post office, anybody guess what it is?

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 03-07-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

How did you do that????

Old 03-07-2019, 07:16 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
How did you do that????