2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 09:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Sound Deadening

Got the sound deadening in!

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (09-05-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 09:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Sound Deadening Review

Haven't driven the truck with the sounds deadening in yet, but I did get a decibel reading before it. I will say so not but the Noico 180mil foam crap. Doesn't stick with a cows ***. You can see in the floor picture where it didn't stick. Top do what I did it will take 2 36sqft boxes of the Killmat. I will compare it to my readings from my 3rd gen that had Dynamat professionally installed.

Old 09-04-2020, 12:38 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Interior

Got the new carpet in, bought the ACC from RockAuto and it require trimming but seems to be of good quality. I'll get pics when it's done. Now I have to clean the headliner and visors (I'm a little iffy on the headliner lol)

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
...I'm a little iffy on the headliner...
Cleaning?... don’t use much elbow grease, or you’ll definitely be replacing it.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:35 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Spillage
Cleaning?... don’t use much elbow grease, or you’ll definitely be replacing it.
Yeah the front I tried to reglue because it was leaking water (guy had a visor and took it off) an it didn't turn it well. I might try to reupholster it next year or but the plastic ones from LMC. I know you did yours I'm just iffy about getting all the wrinkles out if I buy the material. It cleaned up decent but had grease stain from the PO

Old 09-05-2020, 08:55 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

... I know you did yours I'm just iffy about getting all the wrinkles out if I buy the material...
Yup, working with contact adhesive doesn’t give you the option of repositioning as you go... putting it down is a one shot event.

I folded the fabric in half and positioned it over the back half of the backer, making sure I had coverage.
Sprayed adhesive on the exposed front portion of the backer and the inside of the fabric.
When it’s tack free (~15min) you and a helper take a corner each, and hold the front edge of the fabric vertical... with your other (clean) hand start at the center and run your hand forward maybe halfway, then from the center halfway to the corner, then halfway to the side... repeat working this radial pattern closer to the edges working the fabric into the contours of the backer... the fabric will stretch to conform to the backer, but you just have to watch for areas that it might need to be compressed as this is where you might get a wrinkle... if it looks like this might be the case, work down the middle of that area and then the two smaller sections either side (gives two areas with less material to compress in).
Now that you have one quadrant done, take the other corner from your helper and repeat the process.
Go back over it and press it down firmly all over, so you don’t have any pockets the aren’t adhered (these would bubble later).
Flip the back half of the fabric forward over the completed front section and start again applying the adhesive.
Again, when tack free get your helper and start laying it down from the center halfway out to the back and edges.
When you get to the second half of the quadrant, work into the corner first, then to the back, as the corners are higher (more material to compress), and this will give you a longer area to work in any excess material (without getting a wrinkle).
When done, trim the fabric around the edges, and open up any holes.

Now that wasn’t too-ooo difficult, was it. ;-)

Old 09-05-2020, 09:35 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Yup, working with contact adhesive doesn’t give you the option of repositioning as you go... putting it down is a one shot event.

I folded the fabric in half and positioned it over the back half of the backer, making sure I had coverage.
Sprayed adhesive on the exposed front portion of the backer and the inside of the fabric.
When it’s tack free (~15min) you and a helper take a corner each, and hold the front edge of the fabric vertical... with your other (clean) hand start at the center and run your hand forward maybe halfway, then from the center halfway to the corner, then halfway to the side... repeat working this radial pattern closer to the edges working the fabric into the contours of the backer... the fabric will stretch to conform to the backer, but you just have to watch for areas that it might need to be compressed as this is where you might get a wrinkle... if it looks like this might be the case, work down the middle of that area and then the two smaller sections either side (gives two areas with less material to compress in).
Now that you have one quadrant done, take the other corner from your helper and repeat the process.
Go back over it and press it down firmly all over, so you don’t have any pockets the aren’t adhered (these would bubble later).
Flip the back half of the fabric forward over the completed front section and start again applying the adhesive.
Again, when tack free get your helper and start laying it down from the center halfway out to the back and edges.
When you get to the second half of the quadrant, work into the corner first, then to the back, as the corners are higher (more material to compress), and this will give you a longer area to work in any excess material (without getting a wrinkle).
When done, trim the fabric around the edges, and open up any holes.

Now that wasn’t too-ooo difficult, was it. ;-)
Thanks for that info!! I'm going to try it next year, got a link to the material you used? I at least have to try because why not?

Here I was practicing to do the bottom of the doors. It's leather and says RAM. First time with contact adhesive and....it folded over in itself (that's why the lines are there). It was crappy leather anyhow. I have to redo it

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 09-05-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:07 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Thanks for that info!! I'm going to try it next year, got a link to the material you used?
I got it from Headliner Magic (via Amazon).
Here’s a link to their site:
https://headlinermagic.net/
This is the part# HM180872
Keep in mind I have a regular cab... anything bigger, you’ll need more material.
I used 3M Headliner Fabric Adhesive.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:40 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I got it from Headliner Magic (via Amazon).
Here’s a link to their site:
https://headlinermagic.net/
This is the part# HM180872
Keep in mind I have a regular cab... anything bigger, you’ll need more material.
I used 3M Headliner Fabric Adhesive.
Thanks for the link! I got a quad cab so I'll shave to take a rough measurement

Old 09-05-2020, 04:37 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Thanks for the link! I got a quad cab so I'll shave to take a rough measurement
I got the 72”x60” (for extended cab) so I have enough left over to do the visors.

PS quad cab is 90”x60”

Last edited by Spillage; 09-05-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration