2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 09:08 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrainman
Cool, thanks - I have their website link saved for when I'm ready (https://wheelskins.com/) ...
Do you want the link for the full replacement cover?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:09 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default NEW Seats!

I just picked up a pair of heated leather seats and the passenger seat is power to! Been looking for one for forever now!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:04 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow Austin, the third gen steering wheel looks like it was there originally. Looks good buddy. My 01 steering wheel looks like a dog was chewing on it for awhile, and thanks to you I'm going to a similar route.

Congrats on the 2nd gen leather seat score. I want to find an SLT cloth seat for my 01 build.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Wow Austin, the third gen steering wheel looks like it was there originally. Looks good buddy. My 01 steering wheel looks like a dog was chewing on it for awhile, and thanks to you I'm going to a similar route.

Congrats on the 2nd gen leather seat score. I want to find an SLT cloth seat for my 01 build.
I have a bunch of cloth seats I'm more then happy to give you ! Thanks for the kind words Mike! Right now the originally truck is down as I'm swapping in a complete third gen interior along with the engine and making a write up on it. I got a new truck that is also in this thread so it's a two for one special .

The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 11:08 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Default Here was the finished frame

I never posted the finished frame here, so here it is .

Old 02-22-2021, 01:15 PM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I have a bunch of cloth seats I'm more then happy to give you ! Thanks for the kind words Mike! Right now the originally truck is down as I'm swapping in a complete third gen interior along with the engine and making a write up on it. I got a new truck that is also in this thread so it's a two for one special .
Wow what an awesome offer buddy, too bad I live so far away. I live way up here in the great white north, Canada, Alberta.

Wow your truck looks awesome, tons of work there. Looks better than new. Great idea using the third gen interior, I can't wait to see how that turns out. These new hemi's make runs pretty strong, but I don't have that comfortable feeling that its going to last as long as magnum or the cummins.

My 01 truck needs door skins for both sides and my 2010 dodge needs a hood/grill/mirrors. One day

Old 02-22-2021, 01:23 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Wow what an awesome offer buddy, too bad I live so far away. I live way up here in the great white north, Canada, Alberta.

Wow your truck looks awesome, tons of work there. Looks better than new. Great idea using the third gen interior, I can't wait to see how that turns out. These new hemi's make runs pretty strong, but I don't have that comfortable feeling that its going to last as long as magnum or the cummins.

My 01 truck needs door skins for both sides and my 2010 dodge needs a hood/grill/mirrors. One day
My 05 Power Wagon has over 200,000 miles (sorry I only use freedom units :b). The earlier Hemis are pretty reliable. The interior won't be in for a few months as everything is different and it's taking some time to document things, trial and error, etc.

Thanks for the kind words I have a lot into this truck (not money but time wise) and it's getting there. Paint this year, 3rd gen interior done (hopefully), and maybe a lift. I also am building a full underbelly skid system and rock sliders along with trussing the front axle with hydroboost. Don't know if I'm going assist or full hydro.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,188 Likes on 2,941 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
My 05 Power Wagon has over 200,000 miles (sorry I only use freedom units :b). The earlier Hemis are pretty reliable. The interior won't be in for a few months as everything is different and it's taking some time to document things, trial and error, etc.

Thanks for the kind words I have a lot into this truck (not money but time wise) and it's getting there. Paint this year, 3rd gen interior done (hopefully), and maybe a lift. I also am building a full underbelly skid system and rock sliders along with trussing the front axle with hydroboost. Don't know if I'm going assist or full hydro.
Is full hydro steering legal on the street?

Another complication I could see, is the steering wheel does not always return to the same spot when driving straight.... I think that could play merry havoc with the clockspring.

I LOVE hydraulic steering otherwise though. NO slop. None. Zero.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is full hydro steering legal on the street?

Another complication I could see, is the steering wheel does not always return to the same spot when driving straight.... I think that could play merry havoc with the clockspring.

I LOVE hydraulic steering otherwise though. NO slop. None. Zero.
Technically no but neither is hydro assist or tires bigger than 2" then what came factory. I have full hydro on my power wagon and it turns to center every time

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 02-23-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:37 AM
Mike Holmen
Professional

Austin, I've been looking at newer trucks 2016+ (lots of wrecks available) with cloth bench seats, manual. Been curious on how much work it will take to get them to work. I rather like the bench seats in my 2020 dodge 1500 classic work truck. My 2010/2016 has individual buckets and a console (which I'm not a fan of). Too fancy for my ram family beater. My kid uses the 01 for daily.

Curious on what you do for the engine and transmission?

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Restoration