2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heavy duty inverted T steering on 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 11:03 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heavy duty inverted T steering on 1500

All my steering components are shot, so I'm going to replace everything. I figured I might as well switch to the inverted T setup if I can do it cheaply -getting a custom linkage from Thuren, Synergy, or DOR is just too much money for me right now. Can I just buy the steering linkage components for the 2500/3500 series and bolt it up? If so what year model HD parts will work? If not, what kind of customization is required?

I already searched the archives and it seems there are so many answers depending on what model year you've got, and what year it was when they were doing the conversion that it's hard to make heads or tails of what my options are.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
All my steering components are shot, so I'm going to replace everything. I figured I might as well switch to the inverted T setup if I can do it cheaply -getting a custom linkage from Thuren, Synergy, or DOR is just too much money for me right now. Can I just buy the steering linkage components for the 2500/3500 series and bolt it up? If so what year model HD parts will work? If not, what kind of customization is required?

I already searched the archives and it seems there are so many answers depending on what model year you've got, and what year it was when they were doing the conversion that it's hard to make heads or tails of what my options are.
From what I understand 96 and 97 it will bolt right up. 98 and above you have to drill out your knife knuckles to fit the bigger tie rod ends. I can tell you I don't really feel a difference between the inverted Y and T steering.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

The T steering has the issue of tie-rod-roll. The bar that goes between the knuckles will roll a bit, when you turn the wheels, giving you a 'dead spot' in your steering. There are various fixes for that......

Old 07-20-2018, 09:11 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

like mentioned, T steering has tie rod roll. This will give you a dead spot (or play) in the steering wheel. When new it wont be very noticeable but as the steering wears it will get bad.
Y steering - harder on tires as the "Toe" changes throughout suspension movement and steering/turning.
Each as their downsides. If you want a quick replacement just stick with what you have already and just replace with new parts.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

The answers are out there if you research carefully. Diesel forums have the best answers.

The Dodge T steering was made during 98-99 and will bolt up to anything 95-00. Knuckles were different in 94 and 01-2.

The Dodge/Ram 08 HD steering was designed to replace Y steering in 3rd gen tires and will bolt up to the AAM axles or 01-2 Danas with slight modification of the tapers. All Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups have had T steering since 2008.

Since you have a 98, the 98-99 parts will bolt right up perfectly, as they did on mine. However. . .

The aforementioned roll-over is an issue on cheap parts and even Moog now. As the wheels turn, the tie rods move in their joint first before turning horizontally allowing for a dead spot in the movement. Original Spicer and Moog parts were made with a puck style boot on the passenger joint to avoid this. Moog no longer makes them like this. The AC Delco parts last I checked still had the original puck design to keep from rolling. What I did to eliminate it was simply cut out the boot and install washers above the ball joint socket so that it sits snugly against the knuckle thus keeping roll-over from occurring.

The T steering is a big improvement over road joints and bridge seams and really solidifies the front end. Also makes alignment a breeze!

Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Some company or other also makes "the cure"..... Basically, its a delrin washer that goes on the joint where the drag link hits the tie bar. Supposed to prevent roll. Originally developed for GM trucks with the same issue..... I have one, just haven't installed it yet.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

GM trucks? You mean old square bodies before 88? All I've ever seen is a straight tie rod from one wheel to the other on GM's never a T or Y setup.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ramman18
GM trucks? You mean old square bodies before 88? All I've ever seen is a straight tie rod from one wheel to the other on GM's never a T or Y setup.
Yeah, back when they were still solid axle front ends. Just passing on what they told me. No clue how accurate it is. I just hope the little feller works.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:40 AM
weazel
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to upgrade my steering. What is the best path to take? I have a 1999 so it sounds like I have the "T" setup with the roll issue. There is a bit of play. Which parts are the best? Do you by chance have part numbers?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:44 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There are a couple older threads about just this topic, complete with part numbers. Try a search, they should turn up.

Quick Reply: Heavy duty inverted T steering on 1500