2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 PM
brandon fender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering

I have a 2000 Dodge ram 1500 5.2l it keeps spitting and sputtering and bogging down...it's got fresh plugs plug wires distributor cap rotor button fuel pump was changed no check engine light on...I'm stuck on what it could be any help would be appreciated

Old 07-20-2018, 03:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Think I would check fuel pressure anyway.....

Does it do it all the time, or will it run good for a couple minutes when cold, and then start running like crap?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 PM
brandon fender

Well it idles fine and then when I try to drive is when is starts acting up

Old 07-20-2018, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Could be fuel pressure, TPS, O2 sensor.... fouled plugs, or a host of other things. When's the last time it had a tune-up? How many miles on it?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 PM
brandon fender

It just hit 120k new plugs,plug wires, air filter, fuel pump, ignition coil and distributor cap and rotor button was replaced last week...it's been sitting for 3 weeks while I rebuilt the front end and it ran perfect before then when I got the front end done is when is started running like crap

Old 07-20-2018, 04:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Recheck plug wire firing order, and routing. (there is a TSB for wire routing in the faq/diy section here.) What plugs did you install?

Old 07-20-2018, 04:30 PM
brandon fender

About 5 months ago I had it at the shop and they fixed the firing order so this time when I changed the plugs and wires I did them one at a time I used ngk vpower

Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmmm.... Those should be fine. Still, check wiring routing. They may be cross-firing, leading to interesting driveability issues.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:36 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Recheck plug wire firing order, and routing. (there is a TSB for wire routing in the faq/diy section here.) What plugs did you install?
Do this ^^^^ and also check if you broke any vacuum lines. Did you loosen and move the distributor?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:14 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check TPS and IAC. The easiest way I've delt with my IAC is to take the throttle body off and clean that whole port out. I mean if you're going to clean the IAC port and the plunger then you might as well do a through cleaning on the whole thing. It's possible that your IAC is stuck or dead/dying. It could be in the position for idling but when you press the throttle to open it the IAC should close off. If it isn't then it will allow more air in than what the engine would be expecting. This is how it works with MAF trucks. Ours have MAP sensors but mine seemed to do the same thing anyway. Also it still wouldn't hurt to have fuel pressure checked. I've seen a lot of reviews on amazon about the cheap-o fuel pumps dying a few months after instillation. I'm not saying that you bought a cheap one intentionally but if you got it from Autozone or Orileys I wouldn't doubt that they sold you a Duralast/Valuecraft or BWD brand. Those are known for being the low end of the lowest end products for our trucks.

Just some food for thought.

Edit: Also... TPS as others have mentioned. TPS for trucks 1997 and newer from Autozone are made by some unknown manufacturer. The 1996 and older models used Wells parts. TPS on these trucks are very finicky. I went through 2 BWD TPS on my truck in less than a year.

Quick Reply: Sputtering