2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Magnum v8 5.2l engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 09:20 AM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum v8 5.2l engine rebuild

Ok sorry. Been awhile since I posted.

I got both heads off and I'm replacing the valves and valve stem seals. I've got one head finished and half of the other head.

I had some trouble with the bolts connecting the exhaust manifold to the muffler pipes. I used my Dremel and some cutting discs to cut the bolts off.

I found bent valves.

Originally, the timing chain broke and was replaced.

So, I have a gasket kit. Do I need to use ultra black on the head gaskets? I'm pretty sure that you put some on the front corners of the plenum gasket.

What's the best way to clean the engine? Brake cleaner?

Also, I'm still confused about checking to be sure that the timing is correct. The heads are off.

Is cylinder 1 supposed to be at tdc and the cam big dot down, and the crankshaft big dot up? Or is cylinder 6 supposed to be tdc?

I'm going to hone the cylinders and put the heads back on this weekend probably.

Last edited by VeraciousTrades; 07-26-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Grammatical error
Old 07-26-2018, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

No sealer on head gaskets. Put a little dab in the corners where block/head/intake come together, before setting the intake in place.

Brake cleaner works well. Just leave the garage doors open. It's really not good for you to breath that.

1 and 6 should BOTH be at TDC when the cam/crank gears are lined up. The distributor should be pointing at cylinder 6.

Don't hone the cylinders with the pistons still installed. Bad things will happen. (cylinder will have more taper than it already does, and rings will try and re-seat in the newly honed section. that, and the filings from honing will be impossible to completely clean out.)

Old 07-26-2018, 09:25 PM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie
Default Hey

Sorry it took me so long to get back to work. Got a few other vehicles I've been working on and life stuff, you know?

I defied all advice and just replaced all of the valves and valve stem seals. I've been cleaning the heads as well.

So I guess I'll need to take the water pump and timing cover off to check the timing marks...?

It's possible that the crank or cam could be 180° or 360° off or whatever?

I'd sure hate to do all this work and then bend the valves again because I was an idiot.

In all actuality, I'm pretty impressed with my work so far.

I bought some gold spray paint and am planning on painting the valve covers and exhaust manifold gold, lol. The exhaust manifolds look like rusty crap.

Thanks for posting! I won't hone them then. I'll just clean then them up.

I think I will keep this ram and see how long my engine work lasts.

Know anything about automotive painting? The ram is red and I want to paint some flames on the front end when all is said and done.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Pull the cover, see what ya got. Given you have bent valves, I would highly suspect the chain has at least slipped, if not broken.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie

Well, originally when I bought the truck the timing chain had broken and been replaced. The truck hasn't ever run well since I've had it. I just don't want the timing to be off and bend the valves again.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Definitely something to check then.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:44 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

If you're putting in new valves, I would at minimum lap them in. Really what you should do is make friends at your local machine shop and have them check the guides, and do a multi angle valve job so you get the best seal.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:59 PM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie

Exhaust manifold

Valve cover
I don't think it has guides. Just changed the valves and valve stem seals. Cleaning everything up.

Oh, and a little painting.

I'll be curious to see how long the engine goes.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Of course it has guides. The valves stick into them.

What kind of paint on the exhaust? They get awfully warm.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:22 PM
VeraciousTrades
Rookie

They come out? Hmm. I think I will be ok. It can't be any worse than it was, lol.

Yeah I didn't think about the heat, but I couldn't stand that horrible rust color.

I'm going to put the heads back in and hopefully get it all back together within the week.

I just fixed the bent valves basically, and went ahead and replaced them all. Put new seals while I was at it.

I could have just replaced the bent ones.

Quick Reply: Magnum v8 5.2l engine rebuild