2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 AM
jlake4130
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1/8" toe max regardless of tire size. I run about 3/32 toe and my truck handles good with zero tire wear.
Here's some great info - https://www.thurenfabrication.com/te...-handling.html

Old 08-03-2018, 11:06 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Good grief it isn't that precise on these old trucks. The tolerances with our front ends are not at all what new IFS is.

When the "shops" attempted at my alignment, ohhhh, they had the lasers, and computers, and fancy NASA reflectors, and all the mathematical algorithms going on but it still was way off. The idiot "tech" then took it out on a side road and was up and down tweaking toe by driving it. I was uneducated at that time so I figured it must be good enough. Had a terrible pull for over two years and wore my tires bad.

Then I just jacked it up from the axle, eye-balled the front tire to the rear, and could easily see it was toe in. Grabbed a couple tape measures and scribed a line down the center of the tread. Measuring front to back of each tire, I got it near zero. Solved that problem.

Then when I put on the T steer, I did it simply by eyeball. My year-old BFGs have been wearing perfectly and there's no pull or wander. So don't sweat exactly 1/8th" toe or whatever. Trust your eyes and confirm with a tape if you want. And whatever change the tires do at speed is mitigated by road crown, ruts, wind, etc. It isn't rocket surgery.

Old 08-03-2018, 02:39 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No they didn't which made me mad. I am running bigger tires but that shouldn't affect camber I might get it aligned tomorrow and see if the cancer is actually off. Got a link to those bushings I didn't see them on there
Sorry, completely forgot this. Here's the link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bushing,13508

Just came to my mind, what front axle do you have? Those are for the D60, didn't find anything for the D44.

​​​​

Old 08-03-2018, 03:57 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Drive straight ahead 3 truck lengths. Put a piece of tape on the tread of both tires on the rear side as high as possible while able to get a tape measure across. Mark an + on the tape and measure between the vertical lines. Roll the truck ahead until you can measure the front. Toe out has a larger front measurement. Toe in has a larger rear measurement.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Sorry, completely forgot this. Here's the link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+bushing,13508

Just came to my mind, what front axle do you have? Those are for the D60, didn't find anything for the D44.

​​​​
D60
Originally Posted by 2bit
Drive straight ahead 3 truck lengths. Put a piece of tape on the tread of both tires on the rear side as high as possible while able to get a tape measure across. Mark an + on the tape and measure between the vertical lines. Roll the truck ahead until you can measure the front. Toe out has a larger front measurement. Toe in has a larger rear measurement.
I was going to pull the tires and keep the wheel straight measure from the front of the rotor and rear and get them pretty close. Will that work?

Old 08-04-2018, 01:29 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jlake4130
1/8" toe max regardless of tire size. I run about 3/32 toe and my truck handles good with zero tire wear.
Some interesting points. not sure if I agree with all of it. if front toe is out...one tire will not win the fight...no matter what the toe setting...front total toe will be split equally between both front tires.
imo, toe should always be the last adjustment...moving an eccentric that moves the axle will change toe...more so on ifs. caster is not a tire wear angle...makes no sense to adjust it after toe.
there are rolling forces that move the tire out...with a vehicle on the rack...I can push both tires out by hand and see the total toe go negative...i'm sure road force is stronger than what I can put on a tire.
I has spoken directly with bds suspension regarding running oversized tires with their product...they suggest more toe than factory spec with oversized tires....so who is right?

Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by primem
Some interesting points. not sure if I agree with all of it. if front toe is out...one tire will not win the fight...no matter what the toe setting...front total toe will be split equally between both front tires.
imo, toe should always be the last adjustment...moving an eccentric that moves the axle will change toe...more so on ifs. caster is not a tire wear angle...makes no sense to adjust it after toe.
there are rolling forces that move the tire out...with a vehicle on the rack...I can push both tires out by hand and see the total toe go negative...i'm sure road force is stronger than what I can put on a tire.
I has spoken directly with bds suspension regarding running oversized tires with their product...they suggest more toe than factory spec with oversized tires....so who is right?
Originally Posted by 2bit
Originally Posted by HeikIlm

​​​​
Originally Posted by Ramman18
Good grief it isn't that precise on these old trucks. The tolerances with our front ends are not at all what new IFS is.

When the "shops" attempted at my alignment, ohhhh, they had the lasers, and computers, and fancy NASA reflectors, and all the mathematical algorithms going on but it still was way off. The idiot "tech" then took it out on a side road and was up and down tweaking toe by driving it. I was uneducated at that time so I figured it must be good enough. Had a terrible pull for over two years and wore my tires bad.

Then I just jacked it up from the axle, eye-balled the front tire to the rear, and could easily see it was toe in. Grabbed a couple tape measures and scribed a line down the center of the tread. Measuring front to back of each tire, I got it near zero. Solved that problem.

Then when I put on the T steer, I did it simply by eyeball. My year-old BFGs have been wearing perfectly and there's no pull or wander. So don't sweat exactly 1/8th" toe or whatever. Trust your eyes and confirm with a tape if you want. And whatever change the tires do at speed is mitigated by road crown, ruts, wind, etc. It isn't rocket surgery.
Originally Posted by jlake4130
Here is what my brand new (8 months old) front 37s looks like. First pic being passenger side 2nd pic being driver's

Old 08-04-2018, 06:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Toed in too far.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Toed in too far.
I think it's toed out to far but I trust you it oils hard to the right.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

How many miles? 100k?? No way that's a "new" tire with normal 8 months mileage. Holy smokes.

Quick Reply: Alignment Questions