2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alignment Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts
Default Alignment Questions

Went to get the truck (01 Ram 2500) aligned (have to drive to pickup brake parts here soon) at two different shops and they said they can't do it because the camber is off. They showed me the truck an the tire does lean in at the top very slightly. They checked the ball joints and they are good (I knew they were) and then proceeded to say they can't align it. I told them you can't adjust the camber in these trucks. So the only two shops in town (FireStone and Monroe) won't align the toe because of the camber... What do I do? I shouldn't have to buy an offset upper ball joint but if I have to how do I find out how many degrees it's off?

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 07-31-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:53 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Cancer? Tie does Len?

Old 07-31-2018, 06:01 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Cancer? Tie does Len?
I fixed it sorry been up all night and am running on empty lol

Old 07-31-2018, 06:33 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Did they actually measure that the camber is off? My 2500 also looks like the camber is off, upper side is leaning inward, but when I measured it, it was as about zero
Rockauto has alignment caster/camber bushings for upper balljoints, so any special offset joint is not needed. Those bushings range from 1.00 degree to 2.75 degrees.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:05 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Did they actually measure that the camber is off? My 2500 also looks like the camber is off, upper side is leaning inward, but when I measured it, it was as about zero
Rockauto has alignment caster/camber bushings for upper balljoints, so any special offset joint is not needed. Those bushings range from 1.00 degree to 2.75 degrees.
No they didn't which made me mad. I am running bigger tires but that shouldn't affect camber I might get it aligned tomorrow and see if the cancer is actually off. Got a link to those bushings I didn't see them on there

Old 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Don't bother with shops. They don't know what a solid axle is and unless the computer does it for them, they're hopeless.

Just set the toe yourself. It's quick and easy. Plenty of links and vids out there.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if your current tires are not camber worn... and you have no camber pull...the out of spec camber isn't a big deal. I certainly wouldn't be replacing good balljoints for offset balljoints to correct this if the tires were not worn.
Independent shops send us customers every once and a while for this...they see camber out on the aligner but the tires have toe wear. correcting the toe fixes the problem.

What is the camber spec and how far is it out?

Old 07-31-2018, 11:53 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Don't bother with shops. They don't know what a solid axle is and unless the computer does it for them, they're hopeless.

Just set the toe yourself. It's quick and easy. Plenty of links and vids out there.
It's free this time, but I'm going to buy alignment plates and use to take measures to do it myself. I saved the videos you linked to me in another thread. I'm going to use a tape in the front and rear of the axle with the wheel straight and get both measurements the same
Originally Posted by primem
if your current tires are not camber worn... and you have no camber pull...the out of spec camber isn't a big deal. I certainly wouldn't be replacing good balljoints for offset balljoints to correct this if the tires were not worn.
Independent shops send us customers every once and a while for this...they see camber out on the aligner but the tires have toe wear. correcting the toe fixes the problem.

What is the camber spec and how far is it out?
They didn't even put it on the machine just went by looks. My 37s are bald on the outside edges because the toe is out from replacing tierods (just for reference if I put the steering wheel straight my truck will make a 45° right turn...)

Old 08-01-2018, 08:14 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
It's free this time, but I'm going to buy alignment plates and use to take measures to do it myself. I saved the videos you linked to me in another thread. I'm going to use a tape in the front and rear of the axle with the wheel straight and get both measurements the same

They didn't even put it on the machine just went by looks. My 37s are bald on the outside edges because the toe is out from replacing tierods (just for reference if I put the steering wheel straight my truck will make a 45° right turn...)
you need some positive toe...you want zero toe when your driving down the road. the front wheels will be pushed out all they roll; so to achieve zero toe driving you must set toe in when aligning. Since your running oversized wide tires...the factory toe setting isn't enough. I would set 1/8 to 3/16" toe in.

Old 08-02-2018, 02:00 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by primem
you need some positive toe...you want zero toe when your driving down the road. the front wheels will be pushed out all they roll; so to achieve zero toe driving you must set toe in when aligning. Since your running oversized wide tires...the factory toe setting isn't enough. I would set 1/8 to 3/16" toe in.
I'll let the tech know as soon as I find a place to do it...

Quick Reply: Alignment Questions