2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lockers and Coil

Old 08-03-2018, 02:32 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Ratio is marked either the actual ratio, like 3.73, or the teeth count of 41-11 of the same ratio.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:07 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Water cools better than antifreeze. antifreeze raises the temperature at which the coolant will boil. You're hurting yourself by using more antifreeze than a 50/50 mix. Try a new water pump first, then a new radiator.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Jaw91097
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bit
Water cools better than antifreeze. antifreeze raises the temperature at which the coolant will boil. You're hurting yourself by using more antifreeze than a 50/50 mix. Try a new water pump first, then a new radiator.
I thought the same thing, but everyone kept telling me I was gonna rust out my coolant passages or that coolant actually cools it better. Thank you lol, but I do have a spare water pump, I'm gonna get a new fan clutch on that and a new rad when I can.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:00 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I installed a Spartan locker, along with a POSI lock cable to get rid of the vacuum actuator, on my fiends 95 1500 and that setup works great. If you are in 4x4 with the cable unlocked only the driver side will pull, then when you bull the cable both sides are engaged, it is completely unnoticeable when you are in 2wd. For the rear axle if you have the factory limited slip you will have to replace the carrier to put a locker in. You could either put an open carrier in and install a drop in locker like the Spartan (although I don't think Spartan makes one for the 9.25 but Powertrax does) or you could install a stronger and more expensive full carrier locker like the Detroit locker.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:47 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaw91097
I thought the same thing, but everyone kept telling me I was gonna rust out my coolant passages or that coolant actually cools it better. Thank you lol, but I do have a spare water pump, I'm gonna get a new fan clutch on that and a new rad when I can.
When you get to the point of buying a new radiator, might want to consider purchasing an all-aluminum radiator. They will last pretty much forever and don't have to worry about it leaking at the plastic parts of the radiator. CSF 2969 is one option for this style of bolt-in all-aluminum radiator and you can read more about it here - https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html

It looks like you can still purchase them via Amazon.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:17 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

The best/cheapest locker you will find is TorQ they are really good and are under $500! I have one installed in the front of my 1500 and took 20 minutes to install. It works like a dream

Old 10-09-2018, 10:06 AM
00t444e
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The best/cheapest locker you will find is TorQ they are really good and are under $500! I have one installed in the front of my 1500 and took 20 minutes to install. It works like a dream
Spartans are cheaper than the torque lockers and just as good, I have installed several and have three of them in my current vehicles, they have all worked flawlessly. Also it takes much longer than 20 minutes to install one in the front axle, you have to tear both sides down to pull the axles, then remove the carrier and take the ring gear off to install the locker, then put it all back together.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 00t444e
Spartans are cheaper than the torque lockers and just as good, I have installed several and have three of them in my current vehicles, they have all worked flawlessly. Also it takes much longer than 20 minutes to install one in the front axle, you have to tear both sides down to pull the axles, then remove the carrier and take the ring gear off to install the locker, then put it all back together.
TorQ is the strongest lunchbox locker. It only took me 23 minutes to install it. Take the wheels off chisel off the wheel bearing pull it out with the axle.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:43 PM
00t444e
Captain

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
TorQ is the strongest lunchbox locker. It only took me 23 minutes to install it. Take the wheels off chisel off the wheel bearing pull it out with the axle.
I am sorry but I find it very hard to believe you were able to jack up the front of the truck or put it on a lift, take both wheels, brake calipers, rotors and hubs off, take the CAD actuator off, drain the fluid, remove the cover, mark the bearing cap bolts, take the caps off, remove the carrier, take the ring gear off of the carrier, replace the spider gears with the locker, reinstall the ring gear with locktite on all of the bolts and torqued to spec, install the carrier and torque the cap bolts so spec, slide the axles in, put the CAD actuator back on, installed the cover, put the hubs, rotors, brake calipers and wheels back on, torqued the lug nuts and filled the axle with fluid in 23 minutes. If you truly did that then that should be in the book of world records.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:51 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by 00t444e
I am sorry but I find it very hard to believe you were able to jack up the front of the truck or put it on a lift, take both wheels, brake calipers, rotors and hubs off, take the CAD actuator off, drain the fluid, remove the cover, mark the bearing cap bolts, take the caps off, remove the carrier, take the ring gear off of the carrier, replace the spider gears with the locker, reinstall the ring gear with locktite on all of the bolts and torqued to spec, install the carrier and torque the cap bolts so spec, slide the axles in, put the CAD actuator back on, installed the cover, put the hubs, rotors, brake calipers and wheels back on, torqued the lug nuts and filled the axle with fluid in 23 minutes. If you truly did that then that should be in the book of world records.
I didn't take the carrier out did it with it in the truck. The hub comes off easy because they were replaced and had antisieze put on them with torQ there is no need to remove the carrier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lockers and Coil